Swim & Dive Take on Two Tough Teams

Longtime rival Wash U and Claremont Mudd Scripps College will travel to Chicago this weekend to take on the Maroon’s swim and dive team.

Following last weekend’s meets against Northwestern and Wheaton, UChicago’s swimming and diving team is gearing up to compete against Claremont Mudd Scripps College and rival Wash U.  

Last weekend kicked off the 2018–19 season with a promising start. Swimming against three Division I teams at Northwestern on Friday, the team competed excellently, taking nine top finishes. The first-years on the team took six of those top finishes. According to third-year Taye Baldinazzo, “[The first-years] wasted no time this season making a name for themselves and really showing up at home, both in the practice and competition pool.”  

On Saturday, both the men’s and women’s teams bested Wheaton with large score margins (190–90 for the men and 222–71 for the women). Baldinazzo said, “The men’s side really stepped up after a tough week of training and a travel meet the prior day. The energy was high as we faced off against our first Division III opponent and came out of it with a win.” The team is thrilled with the fantastic kickoff to the season, especially with the drive and dedication exhibited by its newest members.  

The team continues to train intensely in preparation for this weekend’s meet. Last year, the men’s team lost against Wash U with a final score of 180–108 while the women’s team defeated them with a final score of 184–116. The two teams the Maroons are scheduled to face are considered some of the toughest DIII competition the team will encounter this season. Competing against them gives the team and its captains an idea of how they’re doing compared to other DIII teams.  

The men’s team hopes to change the outcome this weekend. Baldinazzo explains, “The men have really gotten pumped up for the weekend. It won’t be easy, but if we all perform at our best, I know we can come out beating both teams. Our goals are simple: to perform our best and come out with two wins.” 

Even in the midst of midterm season, the swim and dive teams show promise and mental toughness with their commitment to preparing for the upcoming meet. First-year Alice Ye comments, “Practices are at a high intensity with swimmers going at race pace.” Challenging and besting the upperclassmen in practice, the first-years continue to prove that they are a force to be reckoned with. 

Hopes are high for the rest of the season. Ye says, “I want to make the NCAA team and I’m just excited to be training with a new team filled with amazing people.” Ultimately, both teams are setting their eyes on the prize of a UAA title.  

The Maroons will swim against Wash U and Claremont Mudd Scripps College in the Myers-McLoraine Pool located at Ratner Athletics Center.  The meet is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.