Wrestlers Dual to the Death

The wrestling team went 2–2 at the National Division III Duals this weekend, defeating Centenary University and Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and failing against Augsburg University and York College.

The University of Chicago men’s wrestling team opened 2019 at the National Division III Duals in Louisville, Kentucky. The matches took place on Friday, January 4, and saw the Maroons go 2–2 to bring their record to 6–3 overall in dual matches.  

The South Siders opened against Centenary University, winning 23–15. Fourth-year Louis DeMarco (133 pounds), first-year Cole Riemer (149 pounds), third-year Steve Bonsall (157 pounds), third-year Kyle Peisker (174 pounds), first-year Ben Sarasin (184 pounds), and fourth-year Patrick Mulkerin (285 pounds) all won matches against Centenary. 

DeMarco said, “We wrestled tough, and definitely made a good impression on teams around the country.” 

DeMarco won a match 20–3 on a technical fall victory against Centenary University. 

The Maroons dropped the next match 36–3 against No. 1 Augsburg University. Riemer won the only match for the Maroons on a 7–5 decision. The team forfeited the 184-pound class. 

UChicago then won their third match of the day, 23–21 against No. 20 Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Bonsall, Sarasin, Riemer, third-year Kahlan Lee-Lermer (165 pounds), and fourth-year John Jayne (197 pounds) all won matches. Bonsall was a big factor for the Maroons this weekend, going undefeated in his matches and holding up his No. 3 weight class ranking.  

UChicago’s final match resulted in a loss to No. 9 York College. Second-year Alec Gleason (141 pounds), second-year Jason Crary (157 pounds), Will Britain (165 pounds), Sarasin, and Mulkerin all won matches for the Maroons. The Maroons forfeited two matches, resulting in the loss, but went 5–5 in the matches they competed in.  

Third-year Matt Shoub said of the team’s weekend, “We had a lot of guys get experience. Many younger guys had their biggest matches of their careers and were able to help out the team. We have a lot of confidence in our team, but it was good to see so many step up when it counts. It was great to get this experience, especially before NCAA regionals in February. Coming out of this weekend, we now have a lot of things we know [we] need to improve [on], and we have the time to work hard and get better.” 

The Maroons wrestle next at Elmhurst in the Elmhurst Invitational this Saturday at 9 a.m. The Maroons follow that with a match at home against Elmhurst, then away at the Wheaton Pete Wilson Invitational. In February, the Maroons have one home match against Augusta before the UAA championship and NCAA regional.