Two Suspects Arrested on Campus After University Lockdown Charged

The 21-year-old and 16-year old allegedly participated in an armed robbery off-campus.

By Pete Grieve and Euirim Choi

Charges were filed on Wednesday against two of the five people arrested on campus during a lockdown of several school buildings on Monday. 

At approximately 11:23 a.m. on Monday, five individuals entered a GameStop in Morgan Park and were involved in an armed robbery of the store, according to police. They then fled the scene in a stolen black Dodge Charger and drove north at high speed, with the police in pursuit. Shortly before noon, they crashed into two cars near the intersection of the Midway Plaisance and South Woodlawn Avenue, significantly damaging both vehicles. One of the drivers in the accident escaped without significant injuries. The status of the other driver is unknown. An ambulance was on scene. 

One of the suspects was arrested near the crash and at least two suspects fled into the Saieh Hall for Economics. At around 12 p.m., the University sent out an alert instructing the campus community to shelter in place as police looked for suspects involved in an off-campus robbery. The remaining suspects were arrested shortly after the alert. No one on campus was hurt and “nothing substantial” in Saieh was damaged, according to a Chicago Police Department (CPD) officer on scene. 

Two arrestees were charged, according to the CPD. One was 21-year-old Antwan Dickerson, charged with one felony count of possessing between 15 and 100 grams of heroin. The other was a 16-year old male charged with one felony count of robbery with a firearm and one misdemeanor count of criminal trespass to a vehicle. The remaining three arrestees were released without charges, and it is unclear whether charges will be filed later.  

The State Attorney’s office could not be reached for comment, and the University had no comment. 

According to the Illinois Department of Corrections, Dickerson has been charged in Illinois for two incidents in the past: an armed robbery in 2014 and an aggravated unlawful use of a weapon—carrying a firearm in a public space without a concealed carry license—in 2017. He was sentenced for more than six years for the armed robbery, but it appears that he did not serve the full length of the sentence. His two-year sentence in 2017 was not discharged, meaning that some or all of the sentence remains to be served.  

At a hearing Wednesday, Judge John Lyke, Jr. ruled to hold Dickerson without bail, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Dickerson’s next court date will be February 20.