Yield Rate Rises to 83 Percent for Class of 2023; Admit Rate Now at 6.2 Percent

The yield rate jumped 6 percentage points from the Class of 2022’s 77 percent yield rate.
The admissions office housed in Rosenwald Hall.

83 percent of accepted applicants for the Class of 2023 chose to attend the University of Chicago, according to a Career Advancement representative who spoke at a UChicago event in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

The yield rate, confirmed by University spokesperson Jeremy Manier, marks a 6 percentage point increase from last year’s yield rate of 77 percent.

Scott Metcalf, a program director for Career Advancement, shared the figure during his opening remarks at a networking event for incoming students, alumni, and Metcalf interns at the Barnes Foundation art museum.

University trustee Joseph Neubauer, who spoke after Metcalf, mentioned that there were around 35,000 applicants for the Class of 2023. That number echoes the figure that Dean of Admissions James Nondorf shared at an admitted students reception in March, during which he also said that the admissions rate for the Class of 2023 was 5.9 percent.

In an e-mail to The Maroon, University spokesperson Manier clarified that the number of applicants was approximately 34,600 and that as of now, the admissions rate is 6.2 percent. The University typically releases official admissions statistics in the fall.

Asked whether the discrepancy in admissions rate is due to the University’s acceptance of applicants off the waitlist, Manier said, “Every year, numbers like yield and selectivity are subject to change until the incoming class matriculates in the fall.”

The 83 percent yield rate means that the number of students enrolled in the Class of 2023 is around 1,780 students, which is fewer than the 1,806 students that enrolled in the Class of 2022. Although the Class of 2023 has a higher yield rate than the Class of 2022, its admissions rate is lower.

Last July, the University tried to accommodate the large size of the Class of 2022 by offering financial incentives for students to move from campus housing to the Vue 53 apartment complex.