Maroons Deck the Halls Over Break

Many varsity teams continued their seasons over winter break.

While students returned home for the holidays, many varsity teams continued their competitions and training over the winter break. Varsity swimmers and divers traveled to San Diego for their annual training trip, and varsity wrestlers competed in two meets. Varsity men’s basketball competed in three decisive games with impressive displays from new and old players alike.

Basketball

Varsity men’s basketball started their winter training with a victory against Caltech on December 17. This game saw five Maroons scoring double-digit points, with an exceptional display of talent from first-year Bryce Hopkins. Following this game, the Maroons lost to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in a tight game. While the final score (67–66) saw the Maroons defeated, their energy and zeal for competition created a dynamic game. Fourth-year Cole Schmitz dominated in the game as the top scorer with 25 points. With a final backdoor reverse layup, the Stags secured victory, leaving the Maroons with a one-point defeat.

However, the Maroons rang in the new year with a win against North Park University on January 4. Winning with a 20-point margin, the Maroons dominated throughout the game. Third-years Dominic Laravie and Brennan McDaniel came away as the Maroons’ top scorers with 17 and 16 points respectively. 

The men’s basketball team will continue its season with a game on Saturday, January 11, against Washington University in St. Louis. 

Wrestling

Hosting the Chi-Town Invite, the varsity wrestling team performed successfully with multiple titles. The invite took place on December 29 at the Henry Crown Field House, with over 50 wrestlers competing. After a long day of competition, the Maroons came away with six weight class champions of the 10 weight classes. Maroon victors included fourth-year Steve Bonsall, third-year Will Britain, fourth-year Kyle Peisker, second-year Ben Sarasin, fourth-year Nick Carola, and first-year Cole Fibranz. 

Following the Chi-Town Invite, the Maroons competed at the Division III National Challenge in Cleveland. The team came away with successful play against Alma College and Case Western Reserve University before finally losing to Millikin University. 

The Maroons will be back on Wednesday, January 15, to compete against North Central at the Henry Crown Field House. 

Swimming

The swimming and diving teams went on their annual training trip over winter break. This year, they were based in San Diego, spending a week undergoing intensive training. Fourth-year Audrey Mason explains, “Training trip was definitely the toughest week of practice all year, but the whole team did a great job of pushing through and completing an excellent week of training before winter break. I’m really excited to see how all of our hard work shows at our end-of-season meets next month.” 

Following winter break, all of the winter varsity teams are gearing up to start or continue their official seasons. Be sure to turn out at the Myers-McLoraine Pool or Henry Crown Field House to cheer the Maroons on!