Class of 2020 Offered Half-Tuition Scholarship for UChicago Master’s Programs

Select graduate programs are eligible for scholarships, and have waived testing and extended deadlines for UChicago students graduating this spring.
William Rainey Harper Memorial Library.

Dean of the College John Boyer announced on Sunday in an email to fourth-year students that select Master’s programs at the University will extend their deadlines, waive the need for standardized testing, and cover half of the first-year tuition cost for the Class of 2020.

“The College is investing in you and providing this support in direct response to the COVID pandemic,” Boyer wrote.

Currently, many Master’s programs at the University offer merit-based scholarships. However, according to advice on the UChicago graduate admissions website, these are very competitive and students are encouraged to apply to external funding. However, any graduating fourth-year student who enrolls in an eligible Master’s program at the University will be eligible for the newly announced scholarship.

Deadlines will be extended “to at least May 1,” Boyer wrote. These programs will also be waiving standardized testing requirements for University of Chicago students. Those that are accepted and enroll will receive a “one-year, half-tuition scholarship” from the College.  

Master’s programs eligible for the one-year scholarship include the computer science program; the Juris Doctor program at the Law School; and the Master of Arts in Public Policy at the Harris School. 

These “represent a diverse range of disciplines, and will all give you advanced knowledge and skills that will prepare you for specialized career opportunities,” Boyer wrote.

Boyer also advertised the University’s Micro-Metcalf Program, which provides paid “micro-internship” projects for undergraduates. Students can apply to work as teaching assistants, research assistants, or in administrative roles during the spring quarter for a $2,000 stipend.

Boyer’s announcement came on the eve of the spring quarter, and as University of Chicago students are scattered across the world for a quarter of remote learning because of the COVID-19 pandemic.