At Home Training Tip #1

The Maroon introduces a weekly recurring series of “At Home Training Tips.”

Without access to a gym, many athletes and fitness freaks have been forced to get creative in order to stay on track with workouts. You may have seen videos on social media of people doing bench presses with their couch—perhaps slightly intimidating and overboard for those just looking to break a sweat. Each week we will publish an “At-Home Training Tip.” If you have any you’d like to share, feel free to message the author, and we can seek to publish them in a future issue.  

Use workout time as personal time. We are stuck inside, cramped in houses or apartments with friends and family. We all need a little bit of time to ourselves, and that has been difficult to find. If you’re in need of a break or an escape, go workout! Carve out some time in your schedule between online classes and household obligations to fit in lifting, running, or whatever workout you prefer. If you need some academic convincing, exercising releases chemical neurotransmitters called endorphins, which interact with cell receptors in the brain to reduce pain and control emotions. This endorphin boost—often referred to as a “runner’s high”—can result in the alleviation of bodily discomfort and stress relief. All of us are struggling with the uncertainty surrounding internships, health and safety, and the general state of the world, but working out may just be the answer, offering a natural and healthy brief respite from this stress. So the next time you might be feeling overwhelmed, consider exercising.