Positivity Rate Down to 0, University Eliminates Mask Mandate Outdoors

None of the 2,228 off-campus surveillance tests came back positive, down from 6 positive tests in this population last week.
-
Marco Verch

The University reported 3 new cases of COVID-19 this week, according to a UChicago Forward email sent to the University community on Friday. The email reiterated the campus-wide vaccination requirement for fall 2021 and lifted the requirement that masks be worn outdoors on campus grounds. 

None of the 2,228 off-campus surveillance tests came back positive, down from 6 positive tests in this population last week. Currently, no students on or off-campus are isolating due to a positive test result. 

Of the 3 positive cases from this week, only 1 close contact was reported. Per guidance from the Chicago Department of Public Health, the University is no longer requiring people to wear masks when outdoors, a change from last week. Individuals on campus grounds are permitted not to wear masks even when within 6 feet of one another. However, masks may still be required at certain outdoor events and programming.

The University also reminded students that students will have to be fully vaccinated beginning the autumn quarter of 2021. Anyone engaging in on-campus activities at this time is required to be fully vaccinated prior to coming to campus. Earlier this week, the University sent out an anonymous survey to assess vaccination levels among students and faculty.