Students Stage Protest against Russian Invasion of Ukraine | Newsletter for March 3

The March 3rd, 2022 edition of The Maroon newsletter.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Dear Maroon Readers,

Happy eighth week, and welcome to March! It’s getting warmer.

In this issue of The Maroon newsletter, we are covering a recent protest against the Russian invasion of Ukraine on the quad, a new department in the College, and the new masking guidelines.

Read this week’s issue of The Maroon here.

News reporter Noah Glasgow reports on the University’s decision to form a new Department of Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity.

• The new department will become a part of the Division of the Social Sciences.

News reporter Neive Rodriguez summarizes the newest UChicago Forward email.

• Starting March 4, masks will not be required in most offices, residence halls, retail stores, and dining spaces. Masking in classrooms will still be required through the end of winter quarter.

News reporter Zachary Leiter discusses a recent protest against the Russian invasion of Ukraine by Ukrainian and Russian students on the Quad.

• Students discussed the war’s international importance, possible American intervention and aid, and their outlook on an uncertain future.

News reporter Emma Janssen reports that the University has announced the creation of a September Term program.

• Second-, third-, and fourth-years in the College will be able to take three-week courses worth 100 units, with an announced cost per course of $4,380.

News reporter Natalie Hoge interviews university researchers who have found that CBD helps fight COVID-19 infection in human cells.

• The researchers plan to test the association further in clinical trials.

ARTS

Editor Isabella Cisneros writes in:

Arts reporter Katie Fraser recounts her visit to The Arc Gallery’s “Body Politics” exhibit and describes the ways in which it challenges stigmatization of the body.

Deputy Editor Natalie Manley and Arts reporter Samuel Cody review classically trained woodwind player turned R&B artist Cautious Clay’s Karma and Friends World Tour.

VIEWPOINTS

Editor Kelly Hui writes in:

Columnist Henry Cantor advocates for casual student-instructor socialization outside the classroom.