ORCSA “Carnivale” haunts Hutch

ORCSA converted Hutchinson Commons, long a favorite studying haunt for U of C students, into a haunted “Carnivale” last Tuesday night to celebrate Halloween.

According to Dana Oezeman, campus activities coordinator for ORCSA and planner of such campus staples as Midnight Breakfast and Thanksgiving 101, “We’re just trying to give students interesting things to do with their money. ”

ORCSA co-hosted Carnivale, which ran from 8:45 to 10:30 p.m., with the RSO groups Too Much Music, JELLY, and the Chicano student-group MEChA, which provided free chocolate-cinnamon Abuelita syrup to attendees in honor of the Día de los Muertos celebration.

“We wanted to make sure students have fun and are able to get outside [away] from studying, because as you know, there is a lot of studying going on here,” said Emale Gray, the student life chair and president of Too Much Music.

For the event, skeletons and miniature pumpkin decorations complemented Hutch’s already gothic atmosphere as students in attendance feasted on free pizza and participated in activities like a pumpkin carving contest and a costume contest.

First-year Kelsey Shields said she attended for the free food.

“My Bartlett dining points are running low, and the food here is fine.”