Israel-Palestine Takes Center Stage with Multiple Demonstrations on the Quad

Multiple groups demonstrated on the quad in support of either side of the conflict in Israel and Palestine.
Eric Fang
Students protest in the center of the quad during a passing period.

Several student groups are holding demonstrations on the University’s main quad today, October 16, in response to the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas in and around the Gaza Strip. 

Since October 7, more than 1,400 Israelis and 2,750 Palestinians have been killed.

Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) at UChicago began protesting this morning on the quad. In a post on Instagram, the group stated that it would “occupy the quad” every day, from 10 a.m.–3 p.m., “until the genocide ends.” 

A flier that reads stand with Palestine, Urgent call for student mobilization on the quad. In the bottom left, text reads calling the UChicago community to occupy the Quad with us beginning this monday! Every day, 10am - 3pm, until the genocide ends.
A flyer for SJP UChicago’s occupation of the quad.

Later today at 5 p.m., the Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPI), Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji), and Psi Upsilon Omega fraternities as well as the Iron Key Society (formerly Delta Upsilon) plan to demonstrate on the quad in an event titled “UChicago Greek Life Coming Together to Condemn Terror.” AEPI, Fiji, and the Iron Key Society jointly posted a flyer for the event on Instagram featuring the logos of all four organizations.

The logos of AEPI, Fiji, Psi, and the Iron Key Society are in the top left. In the top right, text reads UChicago Greek Life Coming Together to Condemn Terror Monday October 16th, 5:00pm, UChicago Quad. Candles are in the background.
A flyer for “UChicago Greek Life Coming Together” posted on the instagram accounts of Fiji, AEPI, and the Iron Key Society

Today’s events follow last Monday’s vigil organized by campus Jewish organizations, including UChicago Maroons for Israel, University of Chicago Hillel, UChicago Kehillah, and UChicago Chabad. There, attendees expressed their support for the victims in the aftermath of the October 7 attacks by militant Palestinian group Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.

In a statement to The Maroon, the University reiterated its commitment to neutrality.

“We are deeply saddened by the attacks on Israel, the continuing loss of life in Gaza and the region, and the impact these events have had on members of the University of Chicago community. As part of our commitment to free expression, the University is committed to upholding the rights of protesters and invited speakers to express a wide range of views. At the same time, no individual faculty member, student, or student group speaks for the University on any subject,” the statement read.

The Maroon is covering all of today’s demonstrations. For further coverage of each event, see below.

View Comments (3)
$1930
$2500