Reimagining Washington Park: The Arts Lawn Grand Opening

A new performing and visual arts space is open to the community in Washington Park.
Kuumba Lynx performing a dance routine.
Anya Krishnan
Kuumba Lynx performing a dance routine.

On a crisp and sunny fall day, the Arts Lawn, a new performing arts space located just outside Washington Park on Chicago’s South Side, opened its doors to the community. This new green oasis, the result of a collaboration between the University of Chicago’s Arts + Public Life Program (APL) and South Side residents, marks a significant step towards celebrating and nurturing the rich cultural and artistic heritage of the local community.

Against a backdrop of red brick buildings and oak trees, vendor booths boasted colorful paintings, handmade clothes, and food. As members of the University of Chicago and Washington Park communities gathered, smiles and joy were abundant, with children playing, bubbles floating, and toddlers and grandparents alike dancing to Sade and Thundercat booming from the speakers.

The event opened with a bang as the talented King High School marching band thundered in. Boasting shades and all-black tracksuits, these drummers captivated attendees as they seamlessly grooved with one another—and, of course, an occasional trombone interlude. Kuumba Lynx, a youth arts organization, also lit up the stage with their electric dance moves and colorful tracksuits. Their moves were infectious, as onlookers grooved along with smiling faces, some even joining in their dance circles.

The Arts Lawn is not just a vibrant performing arts space, but also an initiative to restore the rich history of the Washington Park community. With its roots dating back to 1892 as the home of Chicago’s oldest CTA station, the area has seen numerous transformations over the years. Following the Great Migration, Washington Park became a rich cultural hub and refuge for Black Americans, featuring movie theaters, restaurants, and nightclubs. However, due to redlining and gentrification that restricted housing options, many residents were forced into underfunded housing projects. As those who could afford to move live elsewhere, local businesses began to deteriorate, and the area gradually became underutilized and littered with vacant land.

The Arts + Public Life Program was formed in 2011 with the aim to spotlight South Side residents’ voices. This neighborhood platform for arts and culture in partnership with UChicago strives to be a “dynamic hub of exploration, expression, and exchange that centers people of color.”

APL initiated planning for the Arts Lawn in 2014 in response to residents who requested more green spaces for communal gatherings. The main stage, adorned with bright, colorful circles to symbolize vibrance and inclusion, was thoughtfully designed by local youth in APL programs. The space was also created with sustainability and restoration in mind, featuring native plants and green infrastructure throughout to absorb rainwater and alleviate stress on the sewer system. The expansive lawn now serves as a space where families can congregate, enjoy picnics, and watch films. In her opening speech, APL Director Adrienne Brown emphasized that the space provides a welcoming and calm environment for community members. She encouraged guests to lay out on the lawn and gave “permission to just be…I want to make sure we lift up today by doing absolutely nothing.”

In the coming months, the Arts Lawn is set to become a hub for cultural events such as concerts, dance workshops, community yoga, and film screenings.