The Independence: Our Role, Our Mission, and Our Purpose

The Independence was created in March 2023. This publication seeks to take control of the narrative of Africa through different mediums of expression in the fields of politics, art, science, music and beyond. We are one. We are together. We are Africa.

Sub-Saharan African migrants in Tunisia; gold smuggling in South African banks; the rise of East Africa in African footballing competitions. There has been a clear void on our campus, a lack of awareness of the news and events coming from the most diverse continent in the world: Africa. Through the creation of the publication, the members of The Independence sought to fill that void and provide a platform for expression. We wanted to further the knowledge of both African and non-African students, and to perform other such functions as are commonly identified with an independent student publication. We place a lot of emphasis on community. The Independence is not a space for only Africans and members of its diaspora. While focused on Africans, the publication was created to hear all voices from all perspectives, as long as those voices were discussing Africa and its diaspora.

We hope to use this display of African intelligence, artistic versatility, and articulateness to reinvigorate the forces and motives of expression and self-determination. The mission is twofold: to create an environment on campus that provides a medium for expression to African students and to provide a space for these same students to engage with and produce news and opinions on matters relating to the continent of Africa and its diaspora. The Independence provides a platform for students to express their perspectives and create content about or relating to the African continent or its diaspora in the fields of politics, economics, sociology, philosophy, art, music, and fashion. In the Science & Technology section you can find articles on A.I. and its future in Africa, or the expansive field of mycology in Africa. In the Politics & Economics section you can find discussions of the global implications of the Nigerien group, and the merits of the African Continental Free Trade Area. The Independence provides the opportunity to all students on the University of Chicago campus to learn and engage with the African continent and remain updated on current news and events, as well as a space for opinions on these matters; this allows for the minority to address the majority with their own voice, not one created for them. 

While organizations on campus such as the African Caribbean Students Association and the Organization of Black Students provide a space for black voices – we are providing a space for Black stories and Black understandings. This Black History Month issue acts as a service to the Black community – for more Black voices, stories, and understandings to be heard. The Independence stands with South Africa and for justice for Palestine. 

To find out more about The Independence and ways to get involved, follow us on Instagram @independenceuchicago or check out our website https://www.independenceatuchicago.org/.