Charts on New Arrivals at Staging Areas and Shelters

Data from the 40th Ward Office’s New Arrivals Data Dashboard illuminate the number of migrants in staging areas and shelters.

These charts visualize data from the 40th Ward Office’s New Arrivals Data Dashboard. According to the City of Chicago, the city has welcomed over 37,000 new arrivals from the southern border since August 31, 2022. June 9, 2023 is the earliest date the city has released data.

The Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC) has recorded and reported the number of chartered buses that arrive at the city’s “landing zone,” people who arrive by airplane to the city’s airports, and those who independently arrive at emergency staging areas in police stations. The first chart shows the number of new arrivals at these staging areas or “landing zones” over time.

This visual shows the total number migrants at staging areas on given dates as provided by the City of Chicago.
This visual shows the total number migrants at shelters in Chicago grouped by region of city on given dates as provided by the City of Chicago.

The city has also created 23 temporary congregate shelters across Chicago where they provide case management for new arrivals. The second chart shows migrants at these shelters over time divided into which region of the city the shelter is located.