LIVE UPDATES: Pro-Palestine Protesters Occupy Institute of Politics

The action comes less than two weeks after the pro-Palestine encampment ended.
Finn Hartnett
Pro-Palestine protesters hung banners on the IOP building after running into the building.

Pro-Palestine protesters briefly occupied the Institute of Politics (IOP) building on South Woodlawn Avenue. Protesters continue to gather in the area around the IOP, but the building is no longer occupied by protesters.

This article is being updated as the situation develops.

May 17, 10:06 p.m.

Most of the protesters have now left the area around President Alivisatos’s house as demonstrations appear to be over for the day.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:51 p.m.

Some protesters have begun to disperse in groups.

“We know that this is not about us; this is about Palestine,” one protester said. 

Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:49 p.m.

Protesters have hung the effigy of University President Paul Alivisatos on a tree outside the house.

One protester repeatedly hit the effigy with a crutch until it broke, which was met with cheers.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:44 p.m.

The group of protesters have arrived at University President Paul Alivisatos’s house and are congregating on the sidewalk and on the road. Protesters are blocking off South University Avenue.

A number of CPD and UCPD cars are parked near the protesters.

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:34 p.m.

A protester carrying the effigy of University President Paul Alivisatos is leading the group of roughly 150 demonstrators as they head east on 59th Street. One protester threw a water bottle at an Allied Security car and yelled “fuck 12.”

The front lawn of the IOP building, now empty, is littered with posters, food, and other materials. 

UCPD officers have formed a loose line in front of the IOP. Meanwhile, CPD vehicles are moving south in the direction of the protesters. 

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:29 p.m.

The protesters are now marching south on South Woodlawn Avenue, some with wooden shields.

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:27 p.m.

UCPD officers continue moving the crowd away from the IOP building and off the front lawn. Protesters threw pizza and other food at UCPD officers as they moved away from the building.

Some protesters took down their own tents. 

Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:22 p.m.

A number of UCPD officers have begun removing items from the front lawn of the building and moving protesters towards the road.

Protesters previously removed signs hanging in the front of the IOP themselves. Seven police officers are standing from the front porch with body cameras on.

Protesters are chanting: “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 f*ck 12!”

CPD remains uninvolved but a number of officers are nearby. 

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 9:04 p.m.

In a message in its Telegram channel, UCUP said that some demonstrators “are preparing to stay the night” at the IOP. “There are a number of people who are going to stay and continue to hold the space,” the message reads.

They reiterated that the “UCUP are not the organizers” of the IOP occupation and thus “can’t provide more information.”

According to the message, UCUP is still planning to hold the events originally planned for Alumni Weekend. 

“We will see you tomorrow at the UCUP events that were sent out earlier today,” the message ended.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:57 p.m.

The IOP’s backyard is now clear of protesters, with most protesters relocating to the front lawn.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:55 p.m.

UCPD officers continue to push protesters away from the backyard of the IOP. An organizer said the protest was relocating to the front lawn of the IOP.

“UCPD, IOF, same thing with different vests,” protesters chanted.

Allied Security is helping to maintain a barrier in the backyard to prevent protesters from entering.

Maroon Staff

UCPD officers moved forwards to push protesters out of the IOP backyard. (Eli Wizevich)

May 17, 8:48 p.m.

According to a police liaison affiliated with the protesters who spoke to the Maroon, UCPD will soon be issuing a warning and clearing the backyard of the IOP. 

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:44 p.m.

Protesters have formed a line with arms linked around people praying. 

Another group of UCPD officers are gradually moving into the backyard. Officers are removing flags from the fire escape staircase at the back of the IOP building.

“Come down before you go to jail,” a police officer was heard saying to two protesters standing on the stairs in the backyard. 

Maroon Staff

UCPD and protesters in the backyard of the IOP. (Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon)

May 17, 8:36 p.m.

The Maroon observed a large number of CPD and Allied Security officers walking towards the back area of the Institute of Politics building from South Woodlawn Avenue.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:31 p.m.

UCPD officers have completely cleared the side alley next to the IOP building. Two officers also walked up the ramp towards the IOP’s front entrance and removed barriers placed by protesters. The officers also removed several banners from the front of the building.

Protesters have gone up the staircase at the back side of the IOP and hung a banner that reads “Free Palestine” from the top of the staircase.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:25 p.m.

UCPD officers are clearing the side alley of the IOP’s property. They are pushing protesters towards the front lawn of the IOP, repeatedly telling them to “move.”

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:22 p.m.

UCPD is trying to prevent protesters from entering the backyard through the alleyway. Protesters are on both sides of a small group of officers. Police are telling protesters to move back, with some physical contact between officers and protesters.

There are over 20 UCPD officers in the IOP’s backyard, some with riot gear.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:16 p.m.

UCPD officers in the back of the IOP have issued a trespass warning to protesters. Officers are blocking people from entering the back area of the back lawn. UCPD said that people still in the back area risked arrest.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:10 p.m.

Protesters later began dismantling the barrier in the back alley themselves. Some protesters threw chairs and other furniture in the direction of UCPD officers.

Protesters are chanting, “Pigs go home” and “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”

Maroon Staff

May 17, 8:04 p.m.

UCPD officers have begun dismantling a barricade that protesters built in the back alley of the Institute of Politics.

Maroon Staff

UCPD officers began dismantling a barrier built by protesters in a back alley of the IOP. (Eli Wizevich)

May 17, 7:49 p.m.

According to a Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP) organizer, a group of younger alumni and their friends planned the IOP occupation. Since the occupation, however, the younger alumni have stepped back and current students are deciding next steps.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 7:41 p.m.

Protesters in front of the IOP are chanting in the direction of the Iron Key fraternity house, “Daddy’s money.” Fraternity members are playing drinking games on the front lawn as music continues to play from speakers on Iron Key’s roof.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 7:35 p.m.

UChicago Jews for a Free Palestine encouraged protesters via a post on X to come to “the back of IOP” and hold prayer for both Maghrib and Shabbat. “[T]here are cops and thus risk of arrest!! A lot of us are here though and we will pray!” reads the post.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 7:32 p.m.

The Iron Key Society’s music stopped for five to ten minutes. Members of Iron Key told the Maroon that protesters entered their house and unplugged the power cord to the speakers on the roof. The music has now resumed.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 7:24 p.m.

IOP Director of Communications Koran Addo told the Maroon that Institute Director and former U.S. Senator Heidi Heitkamp had a 20-minute conversation with protesters before UCPD escorted her out of the building. 

“It was respectful,” Addo said. “At no time was she under duress or held against her will. Eventually she left the building and police cleared the building.”

When Heitkamp asked the protesters why they were occupying the IOP, a non-partisan institution, protesters responded that “Everyone has to choose a side.”

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 7:17 p.m.

In a statement to the Maroon, the University said that the protesters had illegally occupied the building and destroyed property.

“At approximately 4:40 p.m. Friday, a group of masked protesters unlawfully occupied the Institute of Politics building on South Woodlawn Ave. at the University of Chicago,” the University said. “Protesters attempted to bar the entrance, damaged University property and ignored directives from UCPD officers to clear the way. UCPD officers were able to enter the building and the protesters inside the building exited.”

“The University of Chicago is fundamentally committed to upholding the rights of protesters to express a wide range of views. At the same time, University policies make it clear that protests cannot jeopardize public safety, disrupt the University’s operations, or involve the destruction of property,” the University added.

Protesters are setting up tents in the IOP backyard.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 7:10 p.m.

Demonstrators have hung an effigy of University President Paul Alivisatos depicting blood on his hands from a tree with a noose. 

Protesters are gathered in front of Neubauer chanting “No justice, no peace.” Roughly 12 CPD officers are in a line on the street in front of Neubauer.

Maroon Staff

Protesters outside the IOP hung an effigy of University President Paul Alivisatos. (Finn Hartnett)

May 17, 7 p.m.

Two UCPD officers were briefly in foot pursuit of accused perpetrators who spray-painted “ACAB,” an acronym of the slogan “All cops are bastards,” onto the front of a UCPD segway. The officers then spoke with Iron Key brothers who witnessed the act.

UCPD officers are attempting to identify the individual responsible for the spray paint.

Maroon Staff

Protesters spray painted the front of the UCPD vehicle. (Eli Wizevich)

May 17, 6:54 p.m.

In an X post at around 6:45 p.m., UChicago Jews for a Free Palestine wrote that “due to the developing situation involving the liberation of IOP, our location may change! Stay tuned…,” the post read.

Iron Key has hung a U.S. flag from the second floor window of their fraternity house.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 6:41 p.m.

A man who declined to identify himself alleged that a pro-Palestine protester walked onto the front lawn of the Rohr Chabad Center—located across the street from the ongoing encampment—while holding a brick.

“You walk on to [a place for] Jewish life and learning with a brick? It’s intimidating,” the man said. 

The man claimed the protester “pushed a girl friend of mine” before another protester called him a “racist pussy Jew” after seeing him speaking to the police. The man is currently filing a police report with UCPD.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 6:33 p.m.

In a statement to the Maroon, UCPD Chief Kyle Bowman discussed the situation.

“UCPD is securing the area, allowing protesters to peacefully exercise their first amendment rights,” Bowman said. “At the moment, officers are surveying damage done inside University property and will make a determination whether to clear the area.”

Maroon Staff

May 17, 6:25 p.m.

UCPD continues to block the front entrance to the IOP building. The number of protesters on the front porch have decreased to four. It appears UCPD has full control of the building.

Maroon Staff

UCPD officers have blocked the front entrance of the IOP building. (Nikhil Jaiswal)

May 17, 6:20 p.m.

After the Iron Key fraternity began playing U.S.-themed music, three protesters walked towards the fraternity house and began pulling flowers from the fraternity house’s front lawn. One of the protesters carried a brick from the flower bed away with them.

A significant UCPD and CPD presence remains in the area around the IOP building.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 6:12 p.m.

The Iron Key fraternity, formerly known as Delta Upsilon, has begun loudly playing the American national anthem from their fraternity house. The protesters are responding by loudly chanting “D.U., fuck you.”

Protesters have pitched four tents in front of the IOP.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 6:09 p.m.

Several UChicago United for Palestine (UCUP) organizers who led the encampment on the quad told the Maroon that they are not organizing this action.

In a story on their Instagram account, UCUP made a call for tents, sleeping bags, and “encampment gear.”

“Come prepared to stay a while,” the post said.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 6:01 p.m.

In front of the building, a protester said “This is our building, and we are staying here.”

“We don’t have anybody in the building but that does not change the fact this building is ours,” they added.

UCPD continues to come in and out of the building from the side entrance.

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:53 p.m.

Protesters have duct taped a banner that reads “BRING THE INTIFADA HOME” onto the front-facing wall of the building. 

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:44 p.m.

Two protesters have climbed onto the roof above the entrance and are holding a Palestinian flag. Protesters on the ground cheered as they climbed up.

— Maroon Staff

Protesters climbed onto the roof of the entrance and hung a Palestinian flag. (Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon)

May 17, 5:40 p.m.

In their Telegram channel “Disrupt U of Chicago,” organizers messaged “Bring your sleeping bag, we’re staying” at 5:11 p.m.

Six minutes later, organizers shared a statement in the channel called “Bring the Intifada Home” from “a crew of protesters holding down the Casbah of Basel Al-Araj, formerly known as the institute of politics at the university of chicago [sic].” Bassel al-Araj was a Palestinian activist, writer, and author. In 2016, he was arrested by the Palestinian Authority and charged with planning attacks against Israel. A unit of Israel’s police force killed al-Araj during a gunfight in 2017 as they attempted to enter his house.

“We’ve liberated the Institute of Politics – a breeding grounds for politicians, bureaucrats, non-profit functionaries alike to come to learn to say the right things while meting out violence and devastation on oppressed, colonized people,” the statement said.

“We target the university of chicago for both its current complicity in the genocide of Palestinians and its past: inventing neoliberal economics and enabling the Chicago Boys to be puppet masters of bloody, authoritarian rule from Pinochet’s regime in Chile and beyond, creating the first nuclear reactor, violently displacing and policing Black communities with the nation’s largest private police force of UCPD.”

A second part of the statement is titled “Statement of Principles from the Liberated Casbeh of Basel Al-Araj” and lists six points.

“We must escalate our actions against all governments, institutions and corporations who participate in, profit off of, and enable genocide,” the first point reads.

“We have nothing to gain by working with government, cops, or the administration. We do not negotiate. We do not share information about each others’ identities. We do not seek permission to act. We lean on each other – not the state in any of its forms- for radical care, safety, and support,” another point reads.

The statement does not mention points and demands that UCUP has often mentioned during past rallies, such as that the University acknowledge the bombing of Gazan universities or that it divest from companies with Israeli ties.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:37 p.m.

CPD officers are moving away from the front of the building to allow cars to drive along Woodlawn Avenue. Barriers blocking both directions of traffic have been taken down as well.

IOP Institute Director Heidi Heitkamp has been escorted out of the building by UCPD. 

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:30 p.m.

A member of the Condo Board spoke with the Maroon after their building’s dumpsters were taken by protesters to block an IOP building entrance.

“Protesting and free speech is part of what we’re about, what we are entitled to, but when it starts impacting personal property or private property, that’s when the protesters have gone over the line. They have to be respectful of private property and make sure that they are protesting within the allowable boundaries,” they said. 

Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:20 p.m.

An organizer with UChicago United for Palestine said that the occupation was organized by an unaffiliated group of alumni.

UCPD officers are no longer entering the IOP. Protesters are blocking off the side entrance to the IOP using chairs from Neubauer. Two CPD officers have exited Neubauer.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:14 p.m.

The Maroon estimates that 200 protesters have gathered around the tents in front of the building. 

Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:10 p.m.

Two UCPD officers with shields entered the Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society, which is adjacent to the IOP. 

Officers are currently stationed on all sides of the IOP backyard.

Protesters are now setting up two tents in front of the building.

Protesters set up tents in front of the IOP building. (Finn Hartnett)

Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:07 p.m.

UCPD officers continue to enter the front doors. 

Protesters have taken a police shield. 

Maroon Staff

May 17, 5:02 p.m.

Protesters are blocking the front entrance of the IOP holding banners and signs. It appears that there may still be protesters inside the building.

Protesters in the backyard covered a section of their human chain with a dark cloth.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 5 p.m.

A Chicago Police Department officer said that Chicago Police were on the scene in a support role.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 4:58 p.m.

More than a dozen protesters are exiting the IOP through the windows on the second floor.

Protesters were heard screaming in the backyard and alleyway. 

UCPD officers appeared through the window after the last protester jumped out.

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 4:56 p.m.

The Maroon observed UCPD officers entering the building through windows on the north side of the IOP building.

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 4:55 p.m.

Protesters are throwing objects at police officers as they attempt to enter. The Maroon estimates that there are roughly 40 police officers.

— Maroon Staff

May 17, 4:54 p.m.

UCPD have entered the Institute of Politics, removing protesters from blocking the doors.

Maroon Staff

May 17, 4:45 p.m.

The group of protesters in the backyard has increased as they placed rows of chairs and several wooden benches in front of them as a barricade. There are 12 CPD officers spread out along the back alley, along with over 20 by the back door of the building. 

Maroon Staff

View Comments (26)
$5613
$7000