An Open Letter to President Alivisatos Concerning the Encampment and the Kalven Report

The deployment of armed police against peaceful student protesters is antithetical to the principles of free speech and neutrality
Nathaniel Rodwell-Simon

Dear President Alivisatos,

As instructors at the University of Chicago, we object—in the strongest possible terms—to your decision to deploy armed police against a peaceful encampment of our students in the early hours of Tuesday, May 7. We object in particular to the administration’s weaponization of the University’s much-vaunted Kalven Report and Chicago Principles, which it has used to vindicate its decision to take a deliberate stance against the peaceful encampment and, ultimately, to order the police to break it up. In choosing this course of action, the administration has elected to abandon its own principles of neutrality and the protection of free speech. It is as if sincere, thoughtful, and passionate disagreement were a mark of moral failure among our students. 

Since the encampment began, the administration has turned to the Kalven Report to restrict, rather than protect, speech; to vindicate a narrow, limited, and self-interested interpretation of its principles; and to assert its rights over those of the students. This appeal reached the height of its absurdity when you explained in the Wall Street Journal that it was the Kalven Report’s principle of institutional neutrality that actually required the administration to walk away from negotiations and extinguish the students’ speech. Here, the Kalven Report’s principles are twisted beyond recognition to justify the refusal of dialogue in favor of the forceful repression of dissent. 

The order for campus police to suppress students’ speech was not a neutral act under the terms of the Kalven Report. The authors of the Kalven Report specified that the University’s commitment to institutional neutrality must be buttressed by an expansive understanding of both faculty and students’ rights to protest. The authors wrote that the University’s commitment to neutrality “arises out of respect for free inquiry and the obligation to cherish a diversity of viewpoints.” They clarified: “This neutrality as an institution has its complement in the fullest freedom for its faculty and students as individuals to participate in political action and social protest. It finds its complement, too, in the obligation of the university to provide a forum for the most searching and candid discussion of public issues.” The administration had many options available to it short of bringing physical force to bear on our students, from endorsing a broad and generous construal of its students’ free-speech rights to mere toleration to de-escalation and negotiation. The administration’s choice of the most escalatory option, to suppress the students’ speech, chooses force over persuasion, abandoning the Kalven Report’s clearest ideals. 

The administration maintains that it decided to suppress the students’ speech because the protest had become unduly disruptive. In so doing, however, it takes a position against free speech in arrogating to itself power to decide by administrative fiat when enough speech has been heard. The Kalven Report counsels the University to provide the widest possible leeway for protest and dissent. As far as we understand, the encampment did not lead to the cancellation of any classes, access to Levi Hall was not restricted, the area of the Quad that the students were camping on remained traversable, and the University maintained an active presence of both police and security guards. Further, the administration’s own Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Protest and Dissent in 2013 noted that “vocal protest, and demonstrations in particular, are by their nature disruptive” and concluded that “such incidental disruption should not be regarded as a violation of University policy.” The administration’s conclusion that encampment, as a protest strategy, is inherently too disruptive is simply to say that it disfavors this form of speech.

Further, the administration has claimed that its principle of institutional neutrality required it to walk away from negotiations when protestors demanded policies that the administration believes would violate it. But walking away from negotiations does not require subsequently repressing the protestors’ continued speech. Moreover, there is no reason to think that making investment decisions according to the principle of profit maximization is more neutral than making them according to, for example, a basic principle of respect for humanity. We would hope that, were slavery to be reinstated and become maximally profitable, the University would nonetheless refrain from investing in it. Once again, the administration appeals to the principle of institutional neutrality to refuse negotiations, suppress speech, fight transparency, and maintain its financial interests in politically-charged causes. 

Over the past several months, a fraught political climate has faced universities with a number of difficult choices. The authors of the Kalven Report were sure to clarify that “the sources of power of a great university should not be misconceived. Its prestige and influence are based on integrity and intellectual competence; they are not based on the circumstance that it may be wealthy, may have political contacts, and may have influential friends.” Here, the administration would do well to heed the report’s clear warning and its prescription to resist outside pressures and defend its commitment to free speech and open inquiry: “From time-to-time instances will arise in which the society, or segments of it, threaten the very mission of the university and its values of free inquiry. In such a crisis, it becomes the obligation of the university as an institution to oppose such measures and actively to defend its interests and its values.” If this administration cannot commit itself to the core mission of the institution of the university as defined by the Kalven Report—“the discovery, improvement, and dissemination of knowledge”—then the Kalven Report loses all meaning. 

The University of Chicago often prides itself on being a leader in matters of free speech, and many other peer institutions have followed its lead in adopting the Chicago Principles. On Tuesday morning, the administration gave up this mission, choosing instead to follow behind the panic of peer institutions. This has compromised its commitment to an expansive view of freedom of speech. In using its power to crush protestors’ speech, it turned its back on the very document it now appeals to for an alibi. 

While we, the undersigned, may disagree on many of the specific prescriptions of the Kalven Report and reflect a broad diversity of opinion on questions of policy, politics, and effectuating change, we believe that the University’s actions this week are in flagrant contradiction with the principles it claims to cherish, and would hold this belief for any topic that aroused a collective student action of this kind. 

Sincerely, 

William Levine, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences

Daragh Grant, Assistant Senior Instructional Professor, Social Sciences Collegiate Division

Connor B.S. Strobel, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences

John P. McCormick, Professor, Political Science

Linda M. G. Zerilli, Charles E. Merriam Distinguished Service Professor, Political Science and the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality

Chiara Cordelli, Professor, Political Science

Alireza Doostdar, Associate Professor of Islamic Studies and the Anthropology of Religion, Divinity School and the College

Duygu Uygun-Tunc, Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences

Hoda El Shakry, Assistant Professor of Comparative Literature

Brinton Ahlin, Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences Collegiate Division

Gabriel Winant, Assistant Professor of History

Lisa Wedeen, Mary R. Morton Distinguished Service Professor of Political Science and the College

Jason de Stefano, Collegiate Assistant Professor, Harper-Schmidt Fellow

Jonathan Levy, James Westfall Thompson Professor of History and Social Thought

Joy Wang, Collegiate Assistant Professor in the Social Sciences

Eman Abdelhadi, Assistant Professor, Comparative Human Development

Phillip Henry, Collegiate Assistant Professor

Judith Zeitlin, William R. Kenan, Jr Professor, East Asian Languages and Civilizations and the Committee on Theater and Performance Studies

Tina Post, Assistant Professor of English and Theater and Performance Studies

Isaac Hand, Collegiate Assistant Professor and Harper Schmidt Fellow

Ghenwa Hayek, Associate Professor, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Gabriel Ellis, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor in the Humanities

Thomas C. Holt, James Westfall Thompson Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus

Bruce Lincoln, Caroline E. Haskell Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus of History of Religions

Leora Auslander, Rasmussen Professor of Western Civilization in the Departments of Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity, and History

Matthew Harris, Provost’s Postdoctoral Fellow, Divinity School

Colleen M. Grogan, Deborah R. and Edgar D. Jannotta University Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Kenneth Pomeranz, University Professor in History, East Asian Languages and Civilizations, and the College

Andrew Brandel, Associate Instructional Professor

Julian Go, Professor of Sociology

Anne Beal, Senior Lecturer, Social Sciences Collegiate Division

Kaushik Sunder Rajan, Professor of Anthropology

Elham Mireshghi, Assistant Instructional Professor, Divinity School and the College

Olivia Bustion, Teaching Fellow, Divinity School

Uday Jain, Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow in the Committee on Social Thought, Social Sciences Division

Marta Antonetti, Family Life Programs Classroom Assistant, UChicago Laboratory School

Bart Schultz, Senior Lecturer in the Humanities

Larry Svabek, Teaching Fellow, Department of Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity,

Margaret Ross, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor of Creative Writing

Leah Feldman, Associate Professor of Comparative Literature

Kimberly Kay Hoang, Professor of Sociology

Anthony Nicholson, Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science

Julie Y. Chu, Associate Professor of Anthropology

Karlyn J. Gorski, Assistant Instructional Professor, Harris School of Public Policy

Karlos Arregi, Professor, Department of Linguistics

John Proios, Assistant Professor of Philosophy

Sarah Johnson, Assistant Senior Instructional Professor, Program in Law, Letters, and Society

Anand Venkatkrishnan, Assistant Professor, Divinity School and the College

Bill Brown, Karla Scherer Distinguished Service Professor, English Language and LIterature, Visual Arts, the College

Ben Laurence, Instructional Professor, Social Sciences Collegiate Division and the Division of Social Sciences

Na’ama Rokem, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Comparative Literature

Megan Sullivan, Associate Professor, Department of Art History

Paola Iovene, Associate Professor, Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Gina Samuels, Faculty Director, Center for The Study of Race, Politics and Culture

Elaine Hadley, Professor, English Language and Literature

Agnes Mondragon, Teaching Fellow, Anthropology

Claudia Brittenham, Professor, Art History

Sarah Newman, Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology

Robert L. Kendrick, Prof. Emeritus, Department of Music

Joyce M. Bell, Associate Professor, Race, Diaspora and Indigeneity and Sociology

Hussein Ali Agrama, Associate Professor, Anthropology

Kristen Schilt, Associate Professor, Sociology

Molly K Cunningham, Harper Schmidt Fellow

Jennifer Scappettone, Associate Professor, English, Creative Writing, Romance Languages and Literatures

Jason Grunebaum, Instructional Professor, South Asian Languages and Civilizations

Peter Tinti, Lecturer, Committee on International Relations

Mariam Nawas, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Biological Sciences Division

Stephen Haswell Todd, Associate Instructional Professor, Humanities Collegiate Division

Jessica H Darrow, Associate Instructional Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Gina Fedock, Associate Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Rashauna Johnson, Associate Professor, History

Sharvari Sastry, Harper Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Theater and Performance Studies

Korey Williams, Harper Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Humanities

Amanda Klonsky, Lecturer, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Summerson Carr, Professor, Department of Anthropology and Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Sarah McDaniel, Teaching Fellow in the Humanities, Department of English and Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality

Alida Bouris, Associate Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy and Practice

Laura Ring, Southern Asian Studies Librarian

Jade Pagkas-Bather, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases and Global Health

Faith Hillis, Professor of Russian History

Jennifer Mosley, Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Salikoko S. Mufwene, Professor of Linguistics

M. Ahmed, UChicago staff

Stephan Palmié, Norman and Edna Freehling Professor of Anthropology

Amy Dru Stanley, Associate Professor, Department of History and the Law School

Matthias Staisch, Associate Senior Instructional Professor, Committee on International Relations

Loren Kruger, Professor in English, Comparative Literature, Theatre and Performance Studies, and The College

Ada H. Shissler, Associate Professor, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Cate Fugazzola, Assistant Senior Instructional Professor, Global Studies

Julie Orlemanski, Associate Professor, English

John J. Mearsheimer, R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor of Political Science

W. J. T. Mitchell, Gaylord Donnelley Distinguished Service Professor of English and Art History

Angela S. García, Associate Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Travis A. Jackson, Associate Professor of Music

Ralph Austen, Emeritus Professor of History

Geoff Wodtke, Associate Professor of Sociology

Joseph Masco, Samuel N Harper Professor of Anthropology

​​Carolina López-Ruiz, Professor, Divinity School and Department of Classics

Andreas Glaeser, Professor of Sociology

Yousef Casewit, Associate Professor, Divinity School and the College

Matthew Kruer, Assistant Professor, History and Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity

Maria Angelica Bautista, Senior Research Associate, Harris School of Public Policy

Paula Martin, Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow

Francois Richard, Associate Professor, Anthropology, Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity, and Romance Languages and Literatures

Tanya L. Zakrison, MD, MPH, FACS, FRCSC, Professor of Surgery

Maliha Chishti, Assistant Instructional Professor, Harris School of Public Policy

Chiara Galli, Assistant Professor, Comparative Human Development

Ayman Al-Hendy, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Natacha Nsabimana, Assistant Professor, Anthropology

Daniel Morgan, Professor, Department of Cinema and Media Studies

Kamala Russell, Assistant Professor, Anthropology

Norma M. Field, Robert S. Ingersoll Distinguished Service Professor Emerita, East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Ashish Premkumar, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Daisy Delogu, Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Farah A. Alvi, MD, MS, Clinical Associate of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Elizabeth Chatterjee, Assistant Professor, History

Ruby Rorty, Analyst at the Center for RISC at UChicago

Nell Pach, Writing and Research Advisor

Seth Brodsky, Associate Professor, Music

Baddr Shakhsheer, MD, FACS, FAAP, Assistant Professor of Surgery

Jennifer Cole, Professor, Comparative Human Development

Salomé Aguilera Skvirsky, Associate Professor, Cinema and Media Studies

Anjli Parrin, Assistant Clinical Professor of Law, University of Chicago Law School

Neha Bhardwaj, MD MS,  Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Carmelle Romain, MD, FACS, FAAP, Assistant Professor of Surgery

Benjamin Saltzman, Associate Professor, English Language and Literature

Daniel Brudney, Professor, Philosophy Department

Catherine Kearns, Assistant Professor, Classics

Julia Henly, Samuel Deutsch Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Osmanuddin Ahmed, MD, Associate Professor of Radiology

Philip Garboden, Associate Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Fred M. Donner, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern History, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations and the Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures

Heather Keenleyside, Associate Professor, English

Anton Ford, Associate Professor of Philosophy

Kai Ihns, Teaching Fellow in the Humanities

Hoyt Long, Professor, East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Allyson Nadia Field, Associate Professor, Department of Cinema and Media Studies and the College

Mehrnoush Soroush, Assistant Professor, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures

Kara Ann Hooser, Assistant Instructional Professor, Committee on International Relations

Asim V. Farooq, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science

Jennifer Pitts, Professor, Political Science and the Committee on Social Thought

Adom Getachew, Professor of Political Science and Race, Diaspora and Indigeneity

Adrienne Brown, Associate Professor of English and Race, Diaspora and Indigeneity

Stephanie Soileau, Assistant Professor of Practice in the Arts, Creative Writing Program

Darby English, Carl Darling Buck Professor, Art History

Haun Saussy, University Professor, East Asian Languages and Civilizations, and the Committee on Social Thought

Jacob Eyferth, Associate Professor in East Asian Languages and Civilizations and History

Hassan Shah, MD, Associate Professor, Ophthalmology

Steven Rings, Associate Professor, Music

Eléonore Rimbault, Teaching Fellow in the College and Anthropology

Kristine Palmieri, Postdoctoral Researcher at the rank of Instructor, Institute on the Formation of Knowledge

Zhiying Ma, Assistant Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Willemien Otten, Dorothy Grant Maclear Professor of the History of Christianity and Theology

Ariel Fox, Assistant Professor, Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations and Committee on Theater and Performance Studies

Kyeong-Hee Choi, Associate Professor, East Asian Languages and Civilizations and the College

Sianne Ngai, Andrew W. Mellon Professor of English

Robert Chaskin, McCormick Foundation Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Richard Strier, Frank L. Sulzberger Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus in English

Michael Dietler, Professor, Anthropology

Oliver Cussen, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences

Zoya Sameen, Teaching Fellow in History, Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity, and the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality

Cathy J. Cohen, David and Mary Winton Green Distinguished Service Professor, Political Science and Race, Diaspora, and Indigeneity

Susan Burns, Professor, History and East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Patrick Morrissey, Assistant Instructional Professor, Humanities Collegiate Division

Michael Bourdaghs, Robert S. Ingersoll Distinguished Service Professor, East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Demetra Kasimis, Associate Professor of Political Science

Agnes Lugo-Ortiz, Associate Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Andrew Broughton, Associate Instructional Professor, Humanities Collegiate Division

Jordan Jochim, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences

Cecilia Palombo, Assistant Professor, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Thomas Lamarre, Gordon J Laing Distinguished Service Professor, Cinema and Media Studies

Michele Friedner, Professor, Comparative Human Development

Alison James, Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Paul Copp, Associate Professor, East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Jennifer Iverson, Associate Professor, Music and the Humanities

Ryan Cecil Jobson, Neubauer Family Assistant Professor of Anthropology

Marissa Fenley, Harper Schmidt Fellow in Theater and Performance Studies

Hakan Karateke, Professor, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Kaneesha Parsard, Assistant Professor, English

Sarah Pierce Taylor, Assistant Professor, Divinity School

Rebeca Velásquez, Humanities Teaching Fellow

Tristan Schweiger, Assistant Instructional Professor, English and Master of Arts Program in the Humanities

Hilary Strang, Associate Senior Instructional Professor, Humanities; Director, Master of Arts Program in the Humanities

Aaron Jakes, Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History

Zach Loeffler, Lecturer, Humanities Collegiate Division

Mee-Ju Ro, Assistant Professor, English

Yali Amit, Professor, Statistics

Joseph Dov Bruch, Assistant Professor of Public Health Sciences

W. Clark Gilpin, Margaret E. Burton Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus, Divinity School

Victoria Saramago, Associate Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Elizabeth Helsinger, John Mathews Manly Distinguished Service Professor of English Emerita

Tamara Golan, Assistant Professor, Art History

Tara Zahra, Hanna Holborn Gray Professor of East European History

Leland Jasperse, Humanities Teaching Fellow

Miguel Martínez, Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

William Sites, Associate Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Rochona Majumdar, Professor, South Asian Languages and Civilizations and Cinema and Media Studies

Dalia H. Elmofty, MD, FASA, Associate Professor,  Associate Program Director, Pain Fellowship, Department of Anesthesia

Dipesh Chakrabarty, Professor, History and South Asian Languages and Civilizations

Saad Ali, MD, Clinical Associate of Radiology

Emilio Kourí, Professor, Department of History

Wang You, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences

James Chandler, William B. Ogden Distinguished Service Professor,  Department of English and Department of Cinema and Media Studies

Abhishek Bhattacharyya, Teaching Fellow in Anthropology and the College

Noel Blanco Mourelle, Assistant Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Mark Philip Bradley, Bernadotte E. Schmitt Distinguished Service Professor, Department of History

Josef Stern, William H. Colvin Professor of Philosophy (Emeritus)

Florian Klinger, Associate Professor, Germanic Studies

Angie Heo, Associate Professor, Divinity School

Andrew Ferguson, Professor, Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering

Diana Schwartz Francisco, Assistant Instructional Professor, History

Patrick Jagoda, William Rainey Harper Professor, Cinema and Media Studies, English, and Obstetrics and Gynecology

James León Weber, Assistant Instructional Professor in Spanish, Romance Languages and Literatures

Monther Qandeel, MD, Clinical Associate of Radiology

Larissa Brewer-García, Associate Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Genevieve Lakier, Professor of Law and Herbert and Marjorie Fried Teaching Scholar

Rochelle Terman, Assistant Professor of Political Science

Julia Brown, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Social Sciences

Joe Bonni, Lecturer in The College

Danielle Jones, Humanities Teaching Fellow

Alice McLean, Senior Lecturer, Romance Languages and Literatures

Margaret Geoga, Assistant Professor, Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures and Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Niall Atkinson, Associate Professor of Art History

Crystal Beiersdorfer, Lecturer, Department of Cinema and Media Studies, Program in Media Arts and Design, and the Humanities Collegiate Division.

Cameron Mankin, Lecturer, Media Arts and Design

Brodwyn Fischer, Professor of History

John A. Schneider MD, MPH, Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology and Social Work

Tyler W. Williams, Associate Professor, South Asian Languages and Civilizations

Andrew Pitel, Assistant Instructional Professor, Philosophy and Master of Arts Program in the Humanities

Danielle M Roper, Neubauer Family Assistant Professor, Romance Languages and Literature

James Fernandez, Professor Emeritus of Anthropology

Mario Santana, Associate Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Ruba Azzam, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Leslie Buxbaum, Associate Professor of Practice, Theater and Performance Studies

Mustafa Hussain, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery

Veronica Vegna, Senior Instructional Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures

Esmael Jafari Haddadian, Instructional Professor, Biological Sciences Collegiate Division

Jieun Kim, Senior Lecturer, East Asian languages and Civilizations

Eugene Raikhel, Associate Professor, Comparative Human Development

Prashant Kumar, Postdoctoral Researcher at the rank of Instructor, Institute on the Formation of Knowledge

Bernard McGinn, Naomi Shenstone Donnelley Professor Emeritus, Divinity School

Wu Hung, Harrie A. Vanderstappen Distinguished Service Professor, Department of Art History

Yueling Ji, Teaching Fellow in the Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations and in the College

Darrel Chia, Assistant Instructional Professor, English and Master of Arts Program in the Humanities

Jon Rogowski, Professor, Department of Political Science

John D. Kelly, Christian W. Mackauer Professor in Anthropology and the College

Omar Metwally, MD, Clinical Associate of Radiology

James Osborne, Associate Professor, Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

James F. Lastra, Associate Professor of Cinema and Media Studies and English

Lina Ferreira, Assistant Professor in the Program in Creative Writing

John E. Woods, Professor Emeritus, History and Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Denis Hirschfeldt, Professor of Mathematics

Aaron Turkewitz, Professor, Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, Committee on Microbiology

Françoise Meltzer, Edward Carson Waller Distinguished Service Professor of the Humanities, Divinity School and the College

Jasmin Tiro, Professor, Public Health Sciences, Biological Sciences Division

Chris Carloy, Assistant Instructional Professor, Cinema and Media Studies and Master of Arts Program in the Humanities

Kurt Jacobsen, Lecturer, Social Sciences

Augusta McMahon, Professor, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations and the Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures

Brianna Parry, Theater and Performance Studies Production Manager

Theo van den Hout, Rasmussen Professor of Hittite and Anatolian Languages, retired

Anna Woodard, Research Data Scientist, Data Science Institute

Jared Berkowitz, Assistant Instructional Professor, Program in Law, Letters, and Society

Monica E. Peek, MD, MPH, MS, Ellen H. Block Professor of Health Justice, Department of Medicine

Christian K. Wedemeyer, Associate Professor of the History of Religions, Divinity School

Julia Rhoads, Assistant Senior Instructional Professor in Theater and Performance Studies

Craig B. Futterman, Clinical Professor of Law

Molly Offer-Westort, Assistant Professor, Political Science

David Lebow, Assistant Senior Instructional Professor, Program in Law, Letters, and Society

Callie Maidhof, Assistant Senior Instructional Professor and Associate Director of Global Studies

Matt Epperson, Associate Professor, Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice

Nicole Whalen, Harper-Schmidt Fellow and Collegiate Assistant Professor, Society of Fellows

Maryam Siddiqui, MD, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Amber Ginsburg, Lecturer, Department of Visual Arts

Paul Mendes-Flohr, Dorothy Grant Maclear Professor Emeritus of Modern Jewish History and Thought, Divinity School

Mary Hicks, Assistant Professor of History

Agnes Malinowska, Assistant Instructional Professor, English and Master of Arts Program in the Humanities

Adam Almqvist, Teaching Fellow, Department of Political Science and the College

Devon de Mayo, Assistant Senior Instructional Professor, Theatre and Performance Studies

K.J. Hickerson, Assistant Instructional Professor of History

The list of signatories above represents those who signed the letter before the time of publication (May 13, 2024). The full list can be found here.

View Comments (38)
$5613
$7000