U of C clinic offers H1N1 vaccines to those at risk

The one-day clinic, on 60th Street and Ellis Avenue from 12 to 4 p.m., will provide 600 to 800 vaccines, according to University spokesman Steve Kloehn.

The University will set up a temporary swine flu clinic today in the lobby of the School of Social Service Administration to vaccinate University community members with certain medical conditions, including asthma and heart disease.

Students, faculty, and staff with asthma, neurological, and developmental disorders, chronic lung diseases, or heart disease must bring a University ID to the clinic. A full list of conditions is available on the University’s Web site.

Kloehn also said the SCC has been seeing more swine flu cases, but “we haven’t seen any real concentrated outbreaks, for instance, among residential housing.”

Should the University run out of vaccines at today’s clinic, Kloehn said it will immediately post an alert and will follow up with an e-mail to the community. Any leftover vaccines “will be offered again at a later date,” Kloehn said, adding that if there are several hundred remaining, the University will set up another clinic day.

“It’s hard to know for us exactly how many people meet the CDC conditions for medical risk,” Kloehn said, “so we’ll have to reassess after tomorrow whether we need to go back to the community with particular risks or whether we can open it up more broadly.”

The University has made as many vaccines available as possible and will continue to do so when it gets further shipments. Shipments are controlled by federal and local health authorities. He said there was no way to know how many vaccines the University would receive with the next batch.