Voices STD (Stuff To Do) – April 21, 2006

Friday, April 21

Check out “Operation Sexucation: What They Didn’t Teach Us in High School and What We’re Doing to Change It” in Hutch tonight. Organized by Sex Education Activists, this event will feature free food from the Snail, live music from Ariana Barr, Solecism, the Cathy Santonies and others, a raffle, games, and guest speakers. (6–9 p.m., free, Hutch Commons)

Get your groove on at the Grad Council’s Salsa Dance Party. Manos Unidas’s first ever fundraiser—proceeds go to deaf individuals and their families in Nicaragua—should be a blast. Live music from the Chicago Mambo All-Stars plus lessons from professional dancers plus food plus charity equals way more than the $15 they’re asking for. (9 p.m.-–12:30 a.m., $15 with student ID, $25 without, Ida Noyes Theatre)

Meet prolific filmmaker Jennifer Reeves tonight at a screening of Chronic, Fear of Blushing, The Girl’s Nervy, and other samples of her work from the ’90s. The screening will be followed by a question and answer session as well as possible “surprises.” Now my curiosity is piqued. (7:30 p.m., free, Cobb 307)

Off-Off Campus’s spring show, The Giving-Up Tree, begins this Friday. The show also marks the first full-length show featuring the 20th generation of Off-Off. (9 p.m., $4, discount available for large groups, University Church)

Saturday, April 22

Organization of Latin American Students’ annual culture show, “Following Footsteps: A Journey through Latin America,” happens tonight and promises dance, music, drama and food. (dinner from 5:30–7:30 p.m., Bartlett; show from 8–10 p.m., Mandel Hall; $10 in advance, $12 at the door)

Kurt Weill and Bertold Brecht’s The Threepenny Opera, a classic satire musical satire of the criminal underworld, closes this weekend. With a new translation by Rick Burkhardt and a talented ensemble on loan from San Diego perfoming at the National Pastime Theater, it shouldn’t be missed. (8 p.m. Friday to Saturday, 3 p.m. Sunday matinee, $25, National Pastime Theater 4139 North Broadway Street)

Learn to create beautiful script and art—even if you’ve never picked up a calligraphy brush before. Renowned calligraphy artists Andy Hoi-Csui Chan and Gan Wei will be giving demonstrations and lessons at the Smart Museum this afternoon as part of the Pan-Asia celebrations. All art materials will be provided. (1–3 p.m., free, Smart Museum lobby)

Sunday, April 23

This is the last day of the three-day Chicago Tango Festival in Ida Noyes. The festival includes dancing and two sets of classes—one for the experienced dancer and a primary sequence for the novice. It’s $75 for a three-day student pass, and prices vary for individual sessions. (12:30–6 p.m.; check out chicagotangofestival.com for detailed pricing; Ida Noyes Hall)

A smattering of bands—Punchline, Cute Is What We Aim For, Valencia, New Atlantic, and Split Habit—bring the “Purevolume Tour” to a cheap, early show at Metro tonight (6 p.m., $10, 3730 North Clark Street)

Monday, April 24

The Chicago Improv Festival kicks off tonight with “Singularities,” an evening of multidisciplinary improvisation, at the Chicago Cultural Center. (7 p.m., free, 78 East Washington Street)

Last Vegas, Peelers, Dummy, and DJ Simi collaborate at the Empty Bottle. It’s free, so you can feel slightly less guilty for blowing off your Sosc reading to attend. (9:30 p.m., free, 1035 North Western Avenue)

Tuesday, April 25

Take advantage of one of your last chances to get into the Art Institute for free. (A donation won’t be merely “suggested” anymore beginning in June.) Tonight, though, is University Night—which means that not only is admission free but so are gallery talks, lectures, and sketching sessions. Current exhibitions on Girodet and Ceramic Art of the Ancient Southwest will also be open for viewing. To register, send an e-mail to unight@artic.edu with your name, e-mail address, and the fact that you’re a U of C student. (5:30–8:30 p.m., free to students, 111 South Michigan Avenue)

Bill Ayers reads from his books Teaching for Social Justice and Teaching Toward Freedom at 57th Street Books tonight. Proceeds go to Literacy Works, which provides support for local literacy agents. (7:30 p.m., $10 suggested donation, 1301 East 57th Street)

Wednesday, April 26

Traffic opens at the Museum of Contemporary Art tonight. In this interactive performance, audience members watch from a moving tour bus as Bill Shannon performs choreographed dance and acrobatics on crutches and a skateboard. Born with a joint disorder, Shannon has needed to use crutches since he was young. This piece is part of the MCA’s Bodies of Work, which celebrates artists with disabilities. (6 p.m., $22, $18 for members; 220 East Chicago Avenue)

Thursday, April 27

UT presents another week of the musical City of Angels, through Saturday. (8 p.m., $10, Reynolds Club First Floor Theater)

Doc Films presents Trouble in Paradise, an early masterpiece by Ernst Lubitsch, as part of their pre-code series. The rarely screened comedy features art deco design, racy dialogue, and a narrative involving two lovers who meet while trying to pick each other’s pockets. Sounds sexier than Basic Instinct 2. (7 p.m., $4, free with a pass, Ida Noyes Hall)

Andersonville’s Women and Children First bookstore presents Simi Linton: My Body Politic. Memoirist Linton describes her experiences after an accident paralyzed her from the waist down and killed her young husband and best friend. (7:30 p.m., free, 5233 North Clark Street)

Rock out to a good cause—cancer research for the Rene’e Israel Foundation, to be exact. Skank, Brand New Sin, Figure H8, Full Blown Zero, and the similarly named Wednesday 13 and Lock 13 play the Metro. (doors open at 6:30 p.m., show begins at 7:30 p.m., $13, 18+, 3730 North Clark Street)