STD-5/13/2011-5/19/2011

Stuff to do, from Zombie Prom to Mayor Rahm.

Friday | May 13

Despite their penchant for human flesh, even zombies deserve to find love through awkward social encounters. Chicago Zombie Prom makes for a night to remember, as revelers dance along to zombie cover band Trash Martini and vote on Zombie Prom King and Queen. Zombie makeup and prom attire are required, although those without any zombie makeup experience can purchase a makeover for $10. (640 North Dearborn Street, 9 p.m., $20, 21+)

Saturday | May 14

Those not into free cotton candy or beer gardens can spend Summer Breeze with Rahm Emanuel at the innauguration Concert in Grant Park. The mayor-elect will host a citywide Day of Service, followed by a concert featuring the South Shore Drill Team, before being inaugurated on Monday. While the concert is free, registration and a ticket from http://www.chicagotogether.org are required. (Butler Field, 1 p.m., free)

Sunday | May 15

Organist Paul Jacobs brings his one-man show to Rockefeller as part of the Brian Gerrish Organ Performance Series. The organist, who won a Grammy for best Instrumental Soloist Performance this year, is known for his technical prowess and his ability to play long and complex pieces of work from memory. (Rockefeller Chapel, 3 p.m., $5)

Monday | May 16

Catch the Chicago premiere of the critically- acclaimed animated film Mia and the Migoo at the Gene Siskel Film Center. The film follows Mia, a young heroine in a world becoming increasingly dangerous due to the perils of global warming, as she searches for her father in a world of wonder watched over by the Tree of Life and the forest spirits known as the Migoo. (164 North State Street, 8 p.m., $7)

Tuesday | May 17

In the second annual International Voices Project, Premiere Theatre and Performance brings together local actors and international writers for a series of eight English-language readings of playwrights from several countries. This week’s performance is Hilda, a one-act play by French-Senegalese writer Marie Ndiaye. (54 West Chicago Avenue, 7 p.m., free)

Wednesday | May 18

Join Pulitzer Prize nominee and 2011 Kestnbaum Writer-in-Residence Joyce Carol Oates for a reading of her work. Oates is best known for her New York Times bestsellers and her novel We Were the Mulvaneys, which was an Oprah’s Book Club selection in 2001. The writer, editor, playwright, and professor was recently awarded the National Humanities Medal. (International House, 4:30 p.m., free)

Thursday | May 19

Peek through the Doane Observatory telescope, the largest telescope in the Midwest accessible to the general public, at the monthly Adler After Dark. DJ D-Rek will be spinning beats while guests sip on cocktails and take in views of Chicago’s skyline and Saturn’s rings. (1300 South Lake Shore Drive, 6 p.m., $7, 21+)