STD—4/15/2011 to 4/21/2011

A collection of very cheap or free events in Hyde Park.

Friday 4/15

The rapid ascent of guitarist Lionel Loueke did not happen easily. It took the Benin native one year to earn $50 to buy his first guitar, after which Loueke had to replace broken guitar strings with bicycle brake cables. Since then, the Lionel Loueke Trio has been praised for its sharp lines and seamless blend of African and contemporary rhythms. (Mandel Hall, 7:30 p.m., $10)

Saturday 4/16

Over 700 independently owned record stores both in the US and abroad celebrate all things music on Record Store Day. Special vinyl and CD releases are made available for the day and hundreds of artists make special appearances.(1377 E. 53rd St., 11 a.m., free, www.recordstoreday.com)

Sunday 4/17

Get the full story behind the paintings in the Smart Museum’s exhibition The Tragic Muse as the Dean’s Men perform staged readings from Shakespearian tragedies. The Tragic Bard: Dramatic Readings from Shakespeare will take place throughout the galleries and includes selections from King Lear, Macbeth, Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet. (Smart Museum, 2 p.m., free)

Monday 4/18

Many Chicagoans were exposed to the dangerous world of exotic pets last August after the discovery of an alligator in the Chicago River. Award-winning documentary The Elephant in the Living Room further examines the subject by following the life of Tim Harrison, an Ohio police officer who rescues exotic pets abandoned or abused by their owners. Through a series of heartbreaking and dangerous rescues, viewers are made aware of the controversies of exotic pet auctions. (164 N. State St., 6 p.m., $7)

Tuesday 4/19

Kick off the morning with some sun salutations at Yoga on the Quad this Tuesday. The yoga session is open to amateurs and experts alike, and will be led by Ratner instructor Nicole DiBacco. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own mats, although some will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis. (Main Quad Circle, 7:30 a.m., free)

Wednesday 4/20

Learn about the many art opportunities, shows and events in Chicago at ARTscene: A Fair for Creative Artists & Art Enthusiasts. The fair will include representatives from RSOs and University affiliates, as well as other arts organizations in Chicago. Budding artists are encouraged to bring copies of their portfolios and resumes. (McCormick Tribune Lounge, 8:30 p.m., free)

Thursday 4/21

Perhaps in anticipation of the fifth TNMT film, Doc Films will be screening Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze. The second film in the series has the Ninja Turtles face off against familiar foe Shredder and two new villains, and also features Vanilla Ice at the peak of his career. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9 p.m., $5)