Bojanov, Kruzel win league honors: Sports Shorts 1/27/06

In December, an Athlete of the Week award was a once-in-a-career achievement for third-year distance runner Emil Bojanov. Now, it’s becoming routine.

A pair of event wins, one of which may extend his season well into mid-March, earned Bojanov the UAA weekly honor for men’s track and field for the third straight week. Classmate 174-pounder Phil Kruzel was also honored for wrestling, the league announced Tuesday.

While Bojanov’s team couldn’t break through for the win at Saturday’s Chicago Invitational, Bojanov made his opportunities count, crossing the line in 1:59.41 in the 800-meter run to earn his first victory over that distance this winter. He also won the mile for the second week in a row, recording a 4:14.61 mark to finish 10 full seconds ahead of the next man. The time met the Division III provisional qualifying standard in that event.

Kruzel’s ticket to nationals isn’t punched yet, but the trip looks like more of a possibility after winning his weight class at the Spartan Mat Classic Saturday. As the third seed, he ripped off four match wins in a row, including a 7–4 decision over the top seed in the title bout and an 8–5 victory over the second seed in the semifinal.

It was the first career weekly award for Kruzel. Bojanov has now earned four as a Maroon.