U of C acquires collection of Bellow works

The University of Chicago purchased the remaining professional papers of the late novelist Saul Bellow, completing its existing collection. The acquisition, announced during the early summer, serves as a fitting homecoming for the papers, as Bellow was a University faculty member for more than 30 years, from 1962 until 1993.

“The acquisition, which will be combined with the University’s existing Bellow archive, is in accordance with Bellow’s own wishes and brings his professional papers to one location,” the University said in a statement.

The collection will be housed in the Special Collections Research Center.

The manuscripts of previously published works, including notebooks and multiple drafts, are currently available for research, while manuscripts of unpublished works and correspondence will become available in the coming years, per an agreement between the University and Bellow’s estate.

Bellow, who died over a year ago, is considered one of the most influential novelists of the 20th century, winning the 1975 Pulitzer Prize and 1976 Nobel Prize for Literature. He wrote more than a dozen novels and works of nonfiction, including Herzog, Humboldt’s Gift, Mr. Sammler’s Planet, and The Adventures of Augie March.

—Nora Granville