Sports Shorts 2/19/08: Derek Reich joins D-III elite

After putting together one of the most impressive careers of Chicago men’s basketball and D-III history, Derek Reich recently added another bullet to his already impressive resumé.

D3hoops.com celebrated its 10-year run covering Division III basketball this month by selecting 25 of the best players from the past 10 seasons to make up its five All-Decade Teams. Reich’s awards as a Maroon and place in the Chicago record books made him a shoo-in for the honor, as D3hoops named him to their All-Decade First Team.

Wearing the maroon and white from 1999 to 2003, Reich garnered the Josten Trophy as the D-III player of the year in his final season to go along with his three All-American selections and four MVP awards for the UAA. Reich is the only player named most valuable by the league for all four years of college.

When he left Chicago to go pro for two seasons in the Norwegian Basketball League, Reich also etched his name into the program’s history as the leading point scorer and rebound collector. His 2,254 points and 934 boards have remained untouched.

The personal statistics would be enough to confirm Reich as one of the all-time Maroon and D-III greats, but his contributions to the team elevate his accomplishments to a whole new level. With the six-foot-seven Reich to lead the way, Chicago enjoyed one of its most successful stretches, with a pair of UAA titles and NCAA appearances. The banner year for Reich and the South Siders came in 2001, when the team finished the regular season ranked first in the nation and made a run to the NCAA quarterfinals.

Best known in his basketball days for his versatility, whuch made him a force driving to the post and a threat from beyond the arc, Reich is now attending the John Marshall Law School in Chicago.