League honors three Maroons: Sports Shorts 11/11/05

Three Maroons, including two football players, were named UAA Athletes of the Week, the league announced Tuesday. Fourth-year cornerback/wide receiver Colin Carrier was picked on the gridiron for defense, while teammate third-year running back Nick Schey was selected on offense. Second-year midfielder Stu Phelps was honored for men’s soccer.

It was another banner day in a season of banner days for Carrier, who recorded a single-game record three interceptions deep in Chicago territory to help the team to a 14–7 victory over Case. His efforts on Saturday helped clinch the league title for the Maroons. Carrier now leads Division III with a total of 10 picks for the season and 15 for his career, both new program modern era records. The team co-captain also led the Maroons with 57 receiving yards, including a 34-yard reception that set up a score early in the first quarter.

The Football Gazette also recognized Carrier’s accomplishments, naming him the Division III Player of the Week.

On the other side of the ball, Schey ran for one touchdown and 211 yards on 40 carries on the afternoon to lead the offense. He came up huge for his team on both scoring drives, taking Chicago’s first TD in from 40 yards out and gaining 24 of total 28 yards on the series that put them ahead for good. It was the most rushing yards for Schey all year, and the highest total by any Maroons running back since November 15, 2003.

Farther east on 55th Street, Phelps continued his recent hot streak, tallying the first two goals in Chicago’s 3–0 win over Wash U in the regular season. He has now scored four times in the team’s last three games after not having done so ever before in his collegiate career. The showdown was a must-win if the Maroons had any hope of playing in the postseason.

It was the first-ever Athlete of the Week award for Phelps. It was the third of the fall for Schey, and the second of the season for Carrier.