Crime Report: January 19, 2007

January 13, 2:50 a.m.—Three men robbed a man and woman of their valuables as they exited their car on the 5400 block of South Hyde Park Boulevard. After parking their car, the two victims were held up at gunpoint and surrendered a chain and watch. Also taken were a diamond and gold necklace, two diamond earrings, and a wallet. The offenders then fled on foot.

January 13, 10:35 p.m.—Three men robbed a male victim as he was walking on the 5500 block of South Kenwood Avenue. One of the offenders approached the victim from behind, put a blunt object to his head while threatening to strike him, and demanded his wallet. The victim gave the men his wallet. The University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD) searched the area and found someone who could provide not only a description of the van in which the suspects had fled, but also its license plate number. UCPD officers spotted and pulled over the van, which carried three 16-year-olds who matched the descriptions given by the victim. The victim’s wallet was recovered. The three juveniles were facing charges as of January 13.

January 15, 3:30 p.m.—Four men attempted to rob a male victim as he was working in a building under construction on the 5400 block of South Woodlawn Avenue. Four men confronted the victim and demanded his wallet. One man revealed a knife. The victim then punched the knife-holder three times in the face, causing all four offenders to flee.