If only it were Thor-sday

It’s that time of year again. Time to slaughter that boar that has been living in your back yard. Time to break out those limited edition cans of Hagar the Horrible Cola. Time to vanquish thine neighbor and enslave his wife. Today is Leif Erikson day. From the official declaration:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim October 9, 2007, as Leif Erikson Day. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs to honor our rich Nordic-American heritage.

I’ll admit, I had nothing planned. I spend most of my waking hours thinking of more ways to properly honor Christopher Columbus–maybe he could have another park named after him, or a stretch of public highway right next to the Lions Club?–that I completely overlook Leif Erikson and his immense, long lasting contribution to civilization. After all, not just anyone can be an historical footnote. But since the White House took the time to issue a press release, and Wikipedia saw fit to mention it at its English home page, it’s the least we can do to set a minute or two today in honor of the great Viking. If you get a chance, maybe read aloud a favorite selection from the GrÅ“nlendinga saga (if you can pick just one). I’ll do my part by writing seemingly irrelevant posts throughout the day that I feel reflect the true spirit of Leif Erikson.