Baseball falls again in agonizing battle: Sports Shorts 3/31/06

In the first game back from the spring break trip, baseball (2–8) stumbled early and were unable to complete a comeback bid in an eight inning 13–11 loss at Dominican (5–9) Wednesday. Third-year Jeffrey Thorson recorded the win with six hits and six runs, four earned over 5.2 innings. Fourth-year Brian Olson took the loss, giving up seven hits and seven runs, all earned over three innings. Third-year Zach Schrader earned the save when the game was called on account of darkness.

Both sides had their opportunities as Chicago pitchers allowed 10 walks and Dominican’s staff granted 12 free passes on the evening. Quite a few of these men couldn’t make it all the way home, with 13 runners stranded by Chicago and 11 by Dominican.

After a hit by pitch, a single, and a walk, Chicago had the bases loaded with no outs in the top of the first when the Stars quickly turned the inning around. Starting pitcher third-year Jeffrey Thorson got the cleanup batter third-year first baseman Dan Cozzi to strike out, surrendered one run on a ground out to short by third-year third baseman Allen Cooper, and got out of the inning with a fly to center. The Maroons’ next run wouldn’t come until the top of the fifth, with the visitors down 7–1.

Thanks to a four-run second and a six-run fifth, Dominican took a 13–6 lead into the eighth when Chicago exploded for five runs, with four runs crossing the plate with two outs. Fourth-year designated hitter Ryan Denton led off with a walk, stole second, and scored on second-year leftfielder Mike Serio’s RBI double down the third baseline.

With one out away on the inning, Dominican called in third-year reliever Brian Herman to replace third-year reliever Ryan Brzezicki on the hill and close out the game. Herman struggled with his control, walking four of the first five batters he faced and allowing strikeout victim fourth-year second baseman Matt Assad to reach first on a passed ball. Chicago was within two before the Stars brought in Schrader, who quickly recorded the last out with a ground ball to third.