Crime Report

A residential burglary occurred on February 26 on the 5700 block of South Stony Island Avenue between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 9:15 p.m. Two laptop computers, a Yamaha keyboard, a synthesizer, and approximately 20 CDs were taken from the apartment. The offender(s) exited through the rear door.

Another residential burglary occurred on February 27 on the 5400 block of South University Avenue at 11:45 a.m. A female resident heard some noise in another section of her apartment and went to investigate. She confronted a male offender who was carrying property belonging to the victim. The male offender immediately exited the apartment through the rear door. The victim described the offender as a black male, between 30- and 35-years-old, five feet six inches, between 170 and 180 pounds, with a dark complexion, wearing a dark blue jacket and dark pants.

A third residential burglary occurred on the 1300 block of East Madison Park Avenue between 5:00 p.m. on March 1 and 10 p.m. on March 2. Assorted coins and approximately 50 CDs were taken from the residence. Investigating officers said that it appeared as though the offender(s) entered through an unlocked window and exited through the rear door.

The Southeast Chicago Crime Commission (SECC) suspects that the three recent burglaries are part of an ongoing crime pattern, noting similarities in the means of entry and items taken.

The SECC recommends that residents notify the police immediately if they see anyone suspicious in and around homes, particularly in alleys or along the rear or sides. The SECC noted that these burglaries are occurring during daylight hours when residents are away from their homes.