Roberts named D-III All-American

The softball team’s first-year ace pitcher Hannah Roberts was awarded a spot on the NCAA Division III All-America team by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association. The nomination came following Roberts’s selection to the first team of the All-Great Lakes Region team. Roberts, a third team pick in the All-American squad, was honored to receive the prestigious nomination.

“I was excited to be named an All-American because it lets me know that my competition and onlookers respect the way that I play the game,” Roberts said.

Roberts compiled a 14-3 record and struck out 160 batters in 125.2 innings, making her the most successful first-year pitcher in Chicago history. Her miniscule ERA of 0.61 and her strikeouts per game were both the sixth best of all Division III pitchers. Roberts also pitched a no-hitter against Aurora University on April 25 and posted five other shutouts during the season.

Roberts was also selected to the 2003 All-Midwest Regional team, an honor acknowledging her outstanding play during the Midwest Regional tournament.

Despite receiving so many accolades so early in her college career, the humble Roberts was not about to confuse her priorities.

“It’s just an award, and I don’t really care much about them,” Roberts said. “To me, who’s playing the last week of season is more important. I would rather be playing at nationals.”

The last Chicago pitcher to be named All-American is the current assistant coach of the Maroons, Kelly Ostler. Ostler, who is the Maroons’ all-time winningest pitcher, was named an All-American in her third and fourth years.