Crime Report 11-18-2005

Two male students from Kenwood High School were robbed on the 5100 block of South Harper Avenue on Tuesday, November 15 at 11:40 a.m. While the two were walking on the street, three men approached them and asked them to roll dice. The students refused, at which point the men came up from behind and went through the students’ pockets, demanding their money. The first man took $2 from one student, while the second man held the student. The other student was pushed against the gate by the third man and was hit in the face. He suffered injury to his right eye and his knee, but he refused medical treatment when the police arrived. The men fled the area on foot. The first offender is described as a black man, 17 years old, 5-foot-9, 145 pounds, with a light complexion, brown eyes, and black hair. He was wearing a gray jacket. The second was described as a black man, 17 years of age, 5-foot-11, 150 pounds, brown eyes, black hair and a light complexion. The third offender is described as a 16-year-old male, 5-foot-8, 140 pounds, with brown eyes, and a dark complexion. He was wearing a black hoodie and a red coat. Police may have a lead for the identity of one of the offenders and are following up on the investigation.

There was a strong-arm robbery on the 800 block of East 60th Street on November 15 at 11:45 a.m. After getting off a bus at 60th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue, the female victim was approached by an offender while walking east on 60th Street. The offender demanded the woman’s purse and a struggle ensued. The victim remained in possession of her purse, but the offender snatched three chains and two charms—all gold in color—off her neck. The victim then fled northbound across the Midway, and the offender ran off in an unknown direction. The offender is described as a black man, approximately 40 years of age, 6-foot, of medium weight, and with a medium complexion. He had a goatee and was wearing a dark skullcap and a dark jogging suit.

A woman was sexually assaulted in a common space in her apartment building near 53rd Street and Hyde Park Boulevard at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, November 16. The man confronted her in the building, sexually assaulted her, and fled. The victim contacted the police upon returning to her apartment and was taken to a hospital. Within a few hours the police had taken a suspect into custody, who was later identified by the victim.