Classics Cafe hit by flood, closed for floor repairs

Flooding that caused significant damage to the west side of the Classics building in early February has been blamed on an overflowing faucet left running overnight in the second-floor Classics Café, according to Richard Mott, owner of Plum Cafés, and David Thompson, associate dean for planning and programs in the Division of the Humanities.

Though the Classics Café did not suffer immediate damage, it was closed last week to make repairs to the floor.

Water flow to the building had been shut off on the day of the flood for plumbing work, said Thompson, and was only turned on again after working hours when no one was to be present. The flooding, which caused damaged to Classics rooms 110, 111, and 112, was not discovered until the following morning.

A total of 1,500 books from the Regenstein Library, being stored in the basement of Classics, had to be removed to a drying chamber by a moisture removal company after being soaked in the flood.

According to Thompson, the flooding was covered by insurance, so the University will not need to pay for ongoing repairs that include replacing the cafe floor, installing new floor tiles and carpeting, replastering walls and ceilings, and manufacturing matching wood panels for the walls.

The café is expected to reopen in the second or third week of spring quarter, Thompson said. He speculated that nearby student cafés have likely benefited from the displaced business.

The Classics Café employees have been temporarily relocated to other Plum Cafés, according to Mott.