Three third-years named Truman finalists

Third-years in the College Andrew Hammond, Nina Meigs, and Miranda Nelson have been chosen as finalists for Truman Scholarships, a national award given to college juniors committed to graduate studies in public service.

Finalists will compete in last round interviews later this month for one of about 75 scholarships given nationwide that consist of $30,000 each.

Hammond, a political science concentrator, has served as Viewpoints editor of the Maroon and is co-executive director of the ACLUofC. He said he hoped to earn a joint J.D./M.P.P. and work to “redirect the poverty debate.”

Nelson, a history concentrator, is Social Justice Chair of the University Community Service Center and a member of Students Organized and United for Labor.

Meigs, a public policy studies concentrator, works with asylum seekers at the Midwest Immigrant and Human Rights center and hopes to work on alleviating poverty in developing countries.

“They’re a really, really committed bunch of students,” said Rovana Popoff, a College adviser and the coordinator of the finalist selection process. “It’s very apparent that they’re pursuing public service because they actually care about the issues.”

Truman Scholars receive a scholarship of up to $30,000 to help pay for the senior year of college and graduate school and are expected to spend at least three of their first seven years after graduate school working in public service.

The Truman Scholarship began in 1977 as a way to promote President Harry Truman’s belief in the importance of education and public service.

According to the Truman Scholarship Foundation’s website, the panel typically elects one Scholar from each state and one at-large Scholar.

Eight University of Chicago students have been named Truman Scholars since the program began in 1977, according to the Foundation’s website.