/  

October 27, 2007

Bringin' Saxby Back

With the latest reports that Max Cleland might challenge incumbent senator Saxby Chambliss for the right to represent the great state of Georgia (and reclaim what was once his), it's time to take a closer look at what will almost certaintly be the ugliest race of 2008. Chambliss, you may remember unseated the triple-amputee Cleland in 2002 largely on the strength of high-minded discourses like this:This is the type of election that can only end with the victor drinking from the severed-head-turned-ruby- encrusted-goblet of his vanquished foe. Or, you know, a concession speech.But who is Saxby Chambliss, anyway? Aside from the ridiculous name, he's always seemed like a cartoon character for pseudo-patriotism. At his old Senate website, there was a giant link directing you to "buy a flag." If Barack Obama is at one end of the spectrum (for refusing to wear a flag lapel), Chambliss is one step down from Kid Rock on the other. Things have changed a bit since then, however. He no longer pitches flags, and he even has semi-regular podcasts, so you can listen to Saxby at work, in the car, or even on the treadmill! From his award-winning website:

What is podcasting? According to Wikipedia; Podcasting is a method of publishing audio programs via the Internet, allowing users to subscribe to a feed of new files (usually MP3s).
I thought that was interesting, so I went to wikipedia to see what else it had to say. Well, there's this:
Chambliss was criticized for remarks he made during a November 19, 2001 meeting with emergency responders in Valdosta, Georgia, where he said that they should "turn the sheriff loose and arrest every Muslim that crosses the state line." Chambliss later apologized for the remarks.
In case you had any doubt how congress would let us get into a crippling war in the Middle East with no exit strategy... This is going to be one fun race, and if recent history is any indication, will likely offend just about every eligible voter before it's said and done. May the best man win.