Crime Report: May 8, 2007

May 1, 9:45 p.m.—A 26-year-old woman was the victim of an armed robbery on the 1100 block of East 49th Street. A man reportedly approached the woman, muttered a few words, and displayed a handgun. After demanding her belongings, the offender took the victim’s property, told her to lie down on the ground, and fled westbound down the street. The offender made off with the victim’s brown canvas purse, her personal papers and identification, $20 cash, and a cell phone.

May 5, 3:00 a.m.—Five unknown men approached a 49-year-old man on the 4700 block of East Lake Park Avenue and demanded his money at knifepoint. The victim surrendered $46 in cash to one of the offenders, and the group ran southbound. All five suspects were described as black, 15–18 years old, and wearing blue jeans and white gym shoes.

May 7, 1:44 a.m.—A strong-arm robbery involving a male offender and a 52-year-old woman occurred on the 1100 block of East 49th Street. The woman was reportedly walking eastbound on East 49th Street when the man approached her from behind and grabbed her neck, forcing her to the ground. He demanded her jacket, then physically removed the victim’s jacket and walked westbound from the scene. The victim sustained minor bruises and was treated and released from Provident Hospital at 500 East 51st Street.

Chicago Police have arrested a male juvenile in connection with one of several robberies that occurred in the vicinity of South Greenwood Avenue and East 49th Street earlier this month, according to the South East Chicago Commission (SECC). The police are further investigating whether the suspect has been involved with any additional robberies, including the three most recent incidents in the area.