SPORTS

/  

June 3, 2008

All-Maroons 2007-2008

You voted, we listened. Over 100 ballots were cast in each category. Six candidates managed to separate themselves from the rest of the pack, but a single vote kept offensive MVP from ending in a three-way tie. Here are the winners representing the best of the year:

Best Team- Women's track and field (33.9%)

•Finished 10th at the NCAA Outdoor Championship

•Won the UAA Indoor Championship and finished second in the Outdoor Championship

•Featured five All-Americans at the national meet

Best Coach- Chris Hall (38.32%)

From the track teams:

"Coach Hall's love for the sport is infectious.... It is inspiring to

run for someone so enthusiastic about this team and his athletes....Coach Hall is honestly concerned about his team as a whole, not just as athletes, but also as students... and he has a wicked awesome Wisconsin accent."

Best Play-Brooke Bontz nets two against Wash U (23.53%)

With a bid to the NCAA D-III tournament hanging in the balance, second-year forward Brooke Bontz tallied two goals in the final 15 minutes to give Chicago a 2-1 upset win over 10th-ranked Wash U and its ninth postseason appearance in 12 years.

Best Rookie- Ellie Elgamal (48%)

•Earned honorable mention All-American honors with a 15th-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly at Nationals

• Also qualified for the national meet in the 200-yard butterfly and 200-yard medley

•Set at least one school record at all of her regular-season meets

Overall MVP- Nate Hainje (38.68%)

•Named UAA Player of the Year as the only player in the conference to finish in the top ten in scoring, rebounding, and assists

•Earned NCAA D-III Second Team honors

•Averaged 16 points per game, along with 7.6 rebounds and 50 percent field goal shooting

•Recorded six double-doubles in the team's last seven games to lead the Maroons to their second straight UAA Championship

Defensive MVP - Tim Reynolds (25.72%)

•Led the Maroons with 32 blocks

•Finished second with 77 defensive rebounds and third in steals with 16

•Anchored a defense that held opponents to 67.3 points per game and 44.8 percent field goal shooting

Offensive MVPs

Jen Jacobson (22.64%)

•Recorded a hit in 25 consecutive games, reaching bases in every game of the season

•Notched a .719 slugging percentage with a .517 batting average, a .537 on-base percentage, 25 runs scored, and 13 RBI

and

Matt Corning

•Led the Maroons with 17.7 points per game on 54.6 percent field goal shooting

•Also tallied 31 offensive rebounds (third on the team) and 42 assists

•Knocked down 77.9 percent of his free throws, the highest mark for the starting five