Stuff To Do (STD) 1/30/09—1/5/09

Rod Blagojevich, Relay for Life, and My Friend Vince

Friday / January 30

There’s nothing more dramatic and tangled than a Korean drama, as demonstrated by 2008’s Breath. The film portrays a woman who discovers her husband’s infidelity and develops a relationship with a convicted criminal by performing songs for him and redecorating his cell. (Judd 302, 12:40 p.m., free)

Get ready for 2009’s Relay for Life marathon in May by attending the kick-off party. Aside from the usual free food, entertainment, and giveaways, there will also be talks by cancer survivors. The event is hosted by Colleges Against Cancer and will raise money for cancer awareness among college students. (Hutch Commons, 6 p.m., free)

Saturday / January 31

Keep warm this winter with the University Symphony Orchestra’s performance of Danzon: Hot Music for a Cold Winter’s Night. The USO will be playing Piazzolla’s “Tangazo” and Bernstein’s “Symphonic Dances” from West Side Story. (Mandel Hall, 8 p.m., $5 suggested donation)

The Chicago Shakespeare Theater realizes that many people (especially students) do not have three-and-a-half hours, or the cash, to spend watching an entire Shakespeare play. CST’s answer is Short Shakespeare! A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The story of the four star-crossed lovers is told within 75 minutes, not including the post-show discussion. Unfortunately, the all-ages rating may have led to the deletion of some of Shakespeare’s more profane innuendos. (800 East Grand Avenue, 8 p.m., $14)

Sunday / February 1

My Friend Vince is a newly discovered documentary by cinematographer and filmmaker Howard Alk about Vince, a Toronto street hustler. Alk turns the camera on himself and explores how making documentaries itself can be a bit like pulling off a con. And This is Free, a documentary about the Maxwell Street Market, will precede the film; a discussion with the filmmakers will follow the showings, playing at the Gene Siskel Film Center. (164 North State Street, 5 p.m., $7)

Celebrate the Year of the Ox at the Chinatown Chinese New Year parade, which includes all the traditional aspects, including lion dancers and a dragon float. The parade begins at 24th Street and winds north to Cermak Road. (2400 South Wentworth Avenue, 1 p.m., free)

Monday / February 2

As part of its Stan Brakhage series, Doc Films will be showing Scenes from under Childhood. The four-part film offers an interesting perspective on the differences in childrens’ and adults’ perceptions. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., $5)

Tuesday /February 3

Given Governor Rod Blagojevich’s current impeachment and Senate seat-for-sale scandal, it is only fitting that Second City give him the superstar treatment. Rod Blagojevich Superstar! is a spoof of ’70s rock operas, in which the original religious figures are replaced by Blagojevich and his wife Patti. Expect appearances by Roland Burris and other government officials as apostles. (1608 North Wells Street, 8:30 p.m., $14)

Wednesday / February 4

The U of C Folk Festival Kick-Off will launch the oldest folk festival in the nation, now in its 49th year running. The event features Bhangra and Capoeira performances as well as music by the bluegrass group the Henhouse Prowlers. (Hutch, 8:30 p.m., free)

Thursday / February 5

As one of the members of Fall Out Boy not raising a kid named Bronx Mowgli, bassist Joe Trohman has been busy making short films. Sugar and Laundry, which he made with his New Trier High classmate Alex Beh, will be shown at band mate Pete Wentz’s bar Angels & Kings. (710 North Clark Street, 9 p.m., free)

The Shadowmen Theater Company puts on An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein, featuring the late writer and Chicago native’s collection of eight rather adult plays, featuring childish pretenses and somber endings. Of note is The Best Daddy, in which a father fulfills every girl’s wildest dream by buying his daughter a pony. Too bad he shoots it afterward. (6157 North Clark St., 8:30 p.m., $12)