STD (Stuff to Do) November 20 – November 26

This is Versailles plays in Chicago and The Thanksgiving Parade makes it march down State Street.

Friday | November 20

Francis Ford Coppola’s latest film Tetro chronicles the reunion of two Italian brothers in Argentina as they revisit their family’s tumultuous past. There will be a conversation with the film’s composer, Osvaldo Golijov, and Music Department Professor Berthold Hoeckner before the screening. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., $5)

Saturday | November 21

Don’t spend Saturday night alone! Go home with Celia, Mr. Biggles, or another lonely soul from the Hyde Park Cats Adoption Event. Hyde Park Cats is a group of concerned Hyde Park residents dedicated to finding good homes for stray, feral, and lost cats around the neighborhood. (1342 East 55th Street, 1 p.m., free)

Sunday | November 22

According to author Jonathan Lethem, his latest book, Chronic City, is about “a circle of friends that includes a faded child-star actor, a cultural critic, a hack ghostwriter of autobiographies, and a city official.” The chronicler of Generation X’s collective angst will be interviewed by radio host Victoria Lautmann as part of the 20th-annual Chicago Humanities Festival. (111 South Michican Avenue, 12 p.m., free)

Witness the transformation of 8th week dread into a hoppin’ Salsa Party hosted by the Ballroom and Latin Dance Association. Dancers of all skill levels of salsa, merengue, and cha-cha are welcome, and there will be a dance lesson before the party. Of course, refreshments will be served to keep you energized. (Ida Noyes Hall, 7 p.m., $3)

Monday | November 23

Member of the U of C’s Committee on Social Thought, poet, and novelist Adam Zajagewski will be reading a selection of his poetry at the Renaissance Society. In 2004, he won the Neustadt International Prize for Literature, which is often considered a precursor to the Nobel prize in literary circles. (Renaissance Society, 2 p.m., free)

Because shouting “This is Versailles” is much more hardcore than shouting, “This is Sparta,” the band This Is Versailles has taken it upon themselves to make their shows part party and part riot. The Chicago-based band will be appearing with fellow Midwestern groups Childbite, Story of the Sea, Or So It Goes, and Canyons of Static. (1572 North Milwaukee, 8 p.m., $5)

Tuesday | November 24

In celebration of the 150th anniversary of the publication of On the Origin of Species, this year’s Latke-Hamantash Debate will focus on how Darwin’s life work determines which Jewish holiday staple is superior. The debaters include history of science professor Robert Richards and professor of neurobiology Peggy Mason, among others. (Mandel Hall, 7:30 p.m., free)

Meet Al Gore at a book-signing event for his latest work, Our Choice. The book picks up where An Inconvenient Truth left off, and is a call to action for ordinary citizens to help solve the global climate crisis. (150 North State Street, 12:30 p.m., free)

Wednesday | November 25

Since Tito “El Bambino” stopped performing with Héctor “El Father”, the Puerto Rican musician has gone on to make a name for himself in the reggaeton world with albums such as It’s My Time and El Patrón. In fact, Tito shows that he has become a completely new musician in his tour with bachata musician Toby Love. (2135 North Milwaukee, 7 p.m., $27)

Thursday | November 26

New York City may have the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade, but Chicago is the proud host of the McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. This year’s highlights include a giant Hello Kitty balloon, equestrian troupes, and tons of floats to get you into the holiday spirit. (State Street from Congress to Randolph, 8:30 a.m., free)