STD (Stuff to Do)—November 19 through November 25

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade and the UofC’s own Squat the Condos play at the Double Door

Friday | November 19

Join chefs Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill and Topolobampo), Art Smith (Art and Soul), Charlie Trotter (whose eponymous restaurant was recently awarded two Michelin stars), and Food Network's Lee Brian Schrager at Chicago Chefs Live! The panel of esteemed chefs will talk about good food and restaurants with The New York Times Magazine writer and former Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni. (77 East Randolph Street, 6:30 p.m., $25)

Saturday | November 20

Unless you’re the proud owner of the sorcerer’s stone, join author Dennis William Hauck at his presentation, “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Alchemy.” Although your Harry Potter–riddled mind may not be able to get past the magical aspects of alchemy, Hauck will talk about how the principles of alchemy can be applied in the modern world. (International House, 12 p.m., free)

Sunday | November 21

Catch the debut concert of the Middle East Music Ensemble’s new Performance Program Director Wanees Zarour. The ensemble will be performing a program titled “Muwashahat: Songs of Andalusia” in honor of Arab Heritage Month. (International House, 6 p.m., free)

Monday | November 22

As part of its series on the post-classical Western, Doc will be screening Walter Hill’s 1980 film The Long Riders. The fictionalized account of the infamous James-Rider gang stars real-life siblings as Jesse and Frank James (played by James and Stacy Keach), Cole, Ed, and Bob Younger (David, Keith, and Bob Carradine) and Clell and Ed Miller (Randy and Dennis Quaid). (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., $5)

Tuesday | November 23

If you haven’t already seen Squat the Condos at various on-campus events, the band (whose members are all U of C students) offers a free download of its new EP, “A Goolson’s Lollipop,” on its website. The band will be performing such hits as “Benadryl” with Jared Bartman, Andrew Pellitier, and Mad Bread at the Double Door this Tuesday. (1572 North Milwaukee Avenue, 8 p.m., $5)

Wednesday | November 24

More Muppet magic awaits at the Gene Siskel Film Center’s screening of Follow that Bird. After Big Bird gets sent to live with a family of dodo birds, he feels out of place and runs away. In typical Sesame Street fashion, all his friends band together in order to find him. After the long and arduous journey, the viewer is left with the message that a family can consist of humans, grouches, counts, and even monsters­­—so long as they all love each other. (164 North State Street, 6:15 p.m., $7)

Thursday | November 25

If you’re stuck in Chicago over Thanksgiving or just want to practice waking up early in anticipation of Black Friday, head over to the McDonald’s Thanksgiving Parade. While the parade organizers are keeping the full balloon lineup a secret until the parade, there will still be appearances by favorites such as Pilgrim Garfield, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Curious George, among others. (North State Street between Congress and Randolph, 8 a.m., free)