Vandals break into Harper weeks after robbers strike Classics quad

UCPD said the Harper break-in was near enough to the other thefts to raise the possibility that they were related: “There’s intense investigation underway.”

Intruders broke into Harper Library Sunday, weeks after the UCPD increased patrols to combat a string of similar crimes.

Room 135 in Harper was broken into through a window between 1:30 and 7:00 a.m. Sunday morning, according to UCPD spokesman Robert Mason. He did not know if anything was stolen.

The incident follows several thefts since December in which burglars targeted Goodspeed, Cobb, and Gates-Blake and made off with several laptops and computers.

Mason said the Harper break-in was near enough to the other thefts to raise the possibility that they were related. “It’s in the proximity. If it’s the same person, we do not know,” he said. “There’s intense investigation underway.”

The Music, Film, and French departments, as well as the Center for the Study of Languages, were robbed over the past two months, prompting UCPD to increase patrols in Goodspeed between 7:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Mason said those changes made the area secure and UCPD was not planning on any further increases.

“It’s pretty intense over there with surveillance. We have security officers over there,” he said.

The University said last week that it was considering adding after-hours card readers to some buildings or additional video surveillance in response to the thefts.