STD (Stuff to Do)—May 28 through June 3

Dillo Day, Golosa, and Men in Drag

Friday | May 28

The all-female a cappella group Men in Drag will be performing its Spring show “Rock the Cas-bond” at Bond Chapel on Friday evening. The group promises an evening of beatboxing and classic songs, including two new songs and a few choreographed numbers. The group Rhythm N Jews will be making a guest appearance as well. (Bond Chapel, 8:30 p.m., $3)

Saturday | May 29

Summer Breeze might have been last weekend, but it’s Dillo Day at Northwestern this Saturday. This year’s headliners include Regina Spektor, Guster, Chicago-based MC Rhymefest and hip-hop artist Nelly. (Northwestern Lakefill, 12:30 p.m., free)

Celebrate art and music with the Woodlawn, Hyde Park and the U of C community at the 5th annual Art in Action event. The festival explores the use of art as a form of activism, and will include lunch, local artist performances, arts and crafts, and a poetry slam. (6400 South Kimbark, 11 a.m., free)

Sunday | May 30

The tactfully named Brian Jonestown Massacre (a mash-up of Rolling Stones’ guitarist Brian Jones and the 1978 mass cult suicide) will be celebrating its 20th anniversary this weekend at Metro and promoting its latest release, Who Killed Sgt. Pepper. Canadian pysch-pop rock band Elephant Stone will be opening for the band. Just stay away from the Kool-Aid. (3730 North Clark Street, 8 p.m., $21)

Monday | May 31

For a band that officially broke up in 2000, Hum still plays an awful lot of live shows. The Champaign-based, space rock band will be reuniting once again this Monday for a special Memorial Day concert in Millennium Park. Chicago’s own post-punk band Volcano! will be opening. (Pritzker Pavilion, 6:30 p.m., free)

Tuesday | June 1

U of C alum and frequent Freakonomics blog contributor Dan Hamermesh will be giving the last Public Policy and Economics workshop of the year at the Harris School. Hamermesh will be speaking on the assimilation process of immigrants and how the fixed costs of assimilation act as both incentives and disincentives in the process. (Woodlawn Room in the Harris School, 3:30 p.m., free)

Wednesday | June 2

Just because there is ongoing conflict between Russia and Georgia doesn’t mean that Golosa, the University’s Russian choir, and the DePaul Men’s Georgian Choir can’t perform together in harmony. The concert for peace between the two acrimonious countries will feature both choirs performing traditional pieces, as well as more contemporary songs that reflect their respective cultures. (Bond Chapel, 8 p.m., free)

Thursday | June 3

Take a break from studying or other similar festivities at the Oriental Museum’s lecture and gallery tour, Dine Like an Egyptian. Judith Dunbar-Hines, director of the World Kitchen program, will lead a cuisine and culinary lifestyle lecture and private tour of the Egyptian gallery. A brief reception will follow the talk—no word on whether it will feature authentically ancient food. Space is limited, so be sure to call (773) 702-9507 to register. (Oriental Museum, 6 p.m., free)

Chicago in the summertime is known for its many obscure yet awesome festivals, but none can quite compare to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s three-week long Beethoven Festival. Although the CSO will be performing all nine of Beethoven’s symphonies, the festival kicks off on Thursday with a performance of the famous Symphony No. 5 and the less famous but equally beautiful Symphony No. 8. There will be a free chamber music performance and lecture before the orchestra takes the stage. (220 South Michigan Avenue, 8 p.m., $25)