STD—2/25/2011 to 3/3/2011

Asobi Seksu, Bike Fest, and Alvin Purple at Doc

Friday, February 25

In honor of V-Day, the UChicago Feminists will resurrect the tradition of having a dramatic reading of The Vagina Monologues. This unofficial production differs from other renditions of Eve Ensler’s episodic plays in that people are encouraged to ad-lib their own monologues or spontaneously decide to participate. (Hutchinson Commons, 7:30 p.m., free)

Saturday, February 26

Tramaine Montell Ford takes audience members on a tour of the Cabrini Green housing project in The Tramaine Experience: An Urban Dramedy. The one-man show focuses on Ford’s childhood growing up in Cabrini Green on Chicago’s North Side and highlights the inherent humanity in all people. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Cabrini Connections Tutor/Mentor Program. (1919 North Milwaukee Avenue, 3:15 p.m., $18)

In 2001, Brendt Barbur turned his negative experience of getting hit by a bus while riding his bike into something positive by founding the Bicycle Film Festival. Since then, the BFF has been a major player in the urban bike movement as well as a general platform for celebrating bicycles through music, art, and film. (3111 North Western Avenue, 5 p.m., $25 festival pass or $10 per screening)

Sunday, February 27

For 34 seasons, the Chicago Ensemble has been giving eclectic chamber music performances in Hyde Park and across the North Side. Its third appearance of the year will include performances of Beethoven’s “Sonata No. 4 in C Major” and Mozart’s “Sonata in E Minor.” (International House, 7 p.m., $10)

Monday, February 28

Those who were unable to get tickets to Lady Gaga can instead get lost in the translucent candy swirls of the Asobi Seksu show at the Empty Bottle. The New York City-based band will be showcasing songs from its latest record, Fluorescence and will be appearing with BRAHMS and Stephen Paul Smoker. (1035 North Western Avenue, 9:30 p.m., $12)

Tuesday, March 1

Despite its name, The 3 Penny Was Here, Lincoln Park’s monthly film series and tribute to the historic 3 Penny Cinema, is free. This month’s screening is of the college classic Old School followed by equally infamous Animal House. (2424 North Lincoln Avenue, 7 p.m., free)

Wednesday, March 2

In the Lyric Opera’s production of Handel’s Hercules, director Peter Sellars transposes the Greek myth onto the present by imagining Hercules as an American general returning from war. Sellars will be participating in a panel discussion with other distinguished writers, scholars, and veterans titled War Follows Everyone Home. The live webcast will be moderated by Chicago Tribune cultural critic Julia Keller and will be available on the University’s Civic Engagement website. (http://www.uchicago.edu/community/, 6:30 p.m., free)

Thursday, March 3

Tim Burstall’s Alvin Purple could not be a better fit for Doc’s second Thursday series “Aussie Exploitation: Strange Films from a Strange Land.” Although originally panned by critics, the 1973 sex comedy became one of the most successful Australian films released of that time. The film follows the sexploits of Alvin Purple, whom women find irresistible but is otherwise quite ordinary. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 9 p.m., $5)