Maroons remain unbeaten in D-III play heading into UAAs

Chicago flattened DePauw University 200–96 at the Myers-McLoraine pool on Saturday.

Chicago flattened DePauw University 200–96 at the Myers-McLoraine pool on Saturday. The Maroons remain undefeated against D-III opponents for this season. The meet was also the last home dual meet for the fourth-years.

The Maroons won 12 events: 10 individual events and two relays. Third-year diver Becky Schmidt also turned in a national qualifying performance in the one-meter diving, while setting a school record of 274.45 points.

Overall, the team is thrilled with the performance.

“I was very happy with this week’s performance,” fourth-year Tara Levens said. “I thought that we swam very well, and we had a lot of people putting up their best times of the season.”

First-year diver Sofia Gross agrees.

“I thought our whole team came together for a common goal, to make sure our seniors had a great last meet,” Gross said.

Senior Day left most fourth-years with mixed emotions.

“It’s a bittersweet feeling: of course I’m sad to leave, but I can rest assured that I have done all that I can for this program,” Levens said. “I’m so incredibly proud of all of these ladies and how far they’ve taken the team; it’s been an honor to be a part of this program and to see our team develop over the last four years.”

The Chicago fourth-years have taken the team all the way to an undefeated season, and they will continue to push for success at national and conference meets.

“As always, we need a little more attention to detail, which will come over the next few weeks as we start to rest and sharpen for conference,” Levens said.

“We’re all mentally and physically pushing ourselves to the limit to try to make our coaches really proud at conference,” Gross said.

The push will begin this week when the swimmers and divers taper off their intensity to prepare their bodies for conference championships.

“Training from here on out will be a little less intense in order to rest up for UAAs in mid-February,” Levens said. “All the hard work has been done already; now is the time to work on the little details so that by the time Conference rolls around, we are on our A game.”

UAA Championships, which take place February 15-18 in Cleveland, Ohio, are the next challenge for the Maroons.

“This last meet was a great note to end on in terms of dual meets,” Levens said, “but hopefully we have an even better UAAs and NCAAs to really wrap everything up.”