Squad knocks off previously undefeated NYU

The women’s basketball team knocked off two UAA rivals last weekend including previously undefeated NYU to land in a three-way tie for first in the conference.

This past weekend the Maroons traveled to the East Coast to showcase their talents against two strong, interdivisional teams.

Chicago (10–6, 4–1, UAA) strung together two important wins as they first beat Brandeis (9–7, 1–4) on Friday by a score of 67–50.  The South Siders managed to trump this feat with an even more impressive effort on Sunday as they shut the door on any hopes of a perfect season for NYU (15–1, 4–1) topping the Violets by a score of 87–73.

“I think we had a solid week of practice/preparation and knew how to attack these teams and also how to stop them defensively,” said fourth-year Morgan Donovan regarding the team’s recent success. “We did a great job playing as a team and playing unselfishly, which opened up opportunities for myself and others.”

Donovan put together an impeccable weekend of her own with eight points and eight rebounds in the win against the Judges. Donovan, however, took her game to another level on Sunday against the No. 7–ranked Violets as she scored 16 points and added seven assists.

“Despite their undefeated record, we treated NYU just like every game we’ve played this season. We focused on ourselves and executing our game plan,” said fourth-year Claire Devaney.

Devaney led the upset with a double-double as she scored a team high  of 17 points and collected 11 rebounds in the victory.

The Maroons did start off a little shaky against NYU as they were unable to take the lead in the first five minutes of play.  The tide began to turn late in the fourth minute when Devaney sunk a three-point shot, putting Chicago within striking distance. The South Siders secured the lead for good less than a minute later when fourth-year Ellie Greiner blocked an NYU shot and the passed the ball to second-year Stephanie Anderson for the layup, giving Chicago a lead they never gave up throughout the rest of the game.

“Against a good team like NYU the first few minutes are always high energy.  It took us a few minutes to get in rhythm offensively and figure out how to get the shots we wanted,” said Donovan. “We also started clicking defensively which allowed us to flow right into our offense.”

With these two wins, Chicago is now positioned in a three-way tie with NYU and Wash U for first in the UAA with a month left to go in the regular season.

“We know we can’t be satisfied with where we are at,” said third-year Caitlin Moore on the team’s record and performance so far. “We have to keep improving every day and keep in mind the teamwork and the little things that have gotten us to this point and build off of that.”

“Moving on through the rest of the regular season, we have to continue practicing hard and focusing on one game at a time,” explained Devaney. “If we keep working hard and playing together, I think we’ll be in good shape.”

After their last game this Friday against Case Western the Maroons will play eight games in the month of February, all of them in-conference.