Philanthropy event damages Logan stage

Sigma Chi’s use of canola oil stained Logan Performance Hall stage

Several organizations that participated in the Pi Beta Phi sorority’s annual Arrowfest charity event were honored with awards during the festivities, such as “most creative.” However, it is unclear who will be awarded the bill for damage to the Logan Performance Hall: a performance by the Sigma Chi fraternity involved the use of canola oil, which had the effect of staining the floor.

According to the Facebook event page, Arrowfest was an opportunity “to watch our very talented student organizations dance and lip-sync their hearts out,” with $100 to be donated to the charity of the winner’s choice. The February 6 event at the Logan Center included singing performances from 15 fraternities and sororities.

According to Kevin Gunnerson, the University’s Assistant Director for Facilities and Operations, Sigma Chi’s oil usage inflicted damage by seeping into the floor. No details on how the oil was used were available.

“As with any type of wood, if oils or other caustic materials [such as] paint, wine, or blood come in contact with the wood, there is a possibility for staining the material beyond just the surface. In this case, the oil seeped into the wood leaving dark marks where it is stained,” Gunnerson said.

He also said that while the stage has been used for events since Arrowfest, his department is looking for firms to both estimate the cost of the damage and to repair the floor. Facilities Services might determine if anyone is liable for the damage.

“As with all building-related issues, this will be assessed by Facilities Services working with Logan Center Operations. If it is determined that there is liability from a user, it is addressed as appropriate,” he said.

Representatives of both Pi Beta Phi and Sigma Chi declined to comment for this story.

—Isaac Stein