University Moves up on Reuters’ Most Innovative Universities List

The University moved up over twenty spots in Reuters’ list of the world’s most innovative universities.

The University moved up from more than twenty spots in Reuters’s list of the most innovative universities in the world.

The University climbed from 71st to 47th in the second annual edition of the rankings released on Wednesday.

According to the Reuters’s website, “The list ranks the educational institutions doing the most to advance science, invent new technologies and help drive the global economy.”

The commercial impact score, which measures the influence of the University’s research on commercial research and development activity, jumped 11.4 points to 56.7. While total patents filed dropped from 160 in 2015 to 149 in 2016, the rate for patents granted increased by 2.9 percent from 30 percent to 32.9 percent.

Reuters only takes empirical data such as patent filings and research paper citations into consideration, while other rankings place an emphasis on subjective surveys.

“According to our findings, consistency is key, with truly innovative institutions putting out groundbreaking work year after year,” the Reuters website reads.