Offensive Showdown Ends in Loss for South Siders

Although the squad had the additional motivation of Senior Day, the football team was unable to pull out a victory against the Bears of Wash U in the last game of the season.

The Maroons finished off the 2016 season with a hard fought 43–34 loss against the Wash U Bears. Chicago finished the season 4–6 overall and carries a 4–4 SAA record into the offseason. The game also saw the end of 17 fourth-year Maroons’ careers at Stagg Field.

The two teams exchanged scores throughout the game, as the first three quarters ended deadlocked, until the Bears used a 15–6 advantage in the fourth to ultimately pull away. The Maroons finished with 604 yards to the Bears’ 562 yards, and decisively held the lead in time of possession 39:53 to 20:07. Despite this offensive advantage, Chicago’s turnover margin, 3 to Washington University’s 1, doomed the home side.

“It was a challenge at first this year learning the next offense and pretty much starting from scratch. But as the year progressed, we continued to improve, and by the end of the year we were really rolling,” said fourth-year quarterback Burke Moser. “Saturday we couldn’t come out with a win, but we still did a lot of great things.”

The team was led by a 17-member senior class, who finish their careers with a 24–15 overall record over the past four years. The class also won the 2014 UAA title. Moser again starred for the South Siders, ending his final game going 43–73 for 455 yards and four touchdowns. Moser finishes his career holding records for most passing yards in a game, touchdown passes in a game, passing yards in a season, passing touchdowns in a season, and passing attempts in a season.

“My first two years I didn’t play, so I had to keep my head down and work hard while I waited for my opportunity. When my number was called, I was able to rise to the occasion and do a lot of special things that will be remembered in the record books,” Moser said.

“It was a challenge at first this year learning the next offense and pretty much starting from scratch. But as the year progressed, we continued to improve, and by the end of the year we were really rolling,” Moser said. “Saturday we couldn’t come out with a win, but we still did a lot of great things.”

Moser was helped out by fellow fourth-year wide receiver Syd Reynolds, who had career highs with 10 catches for 172 yards and two touchdowns. Defensively, Chicago fourth-year linebacker Jackson Garrey closed out his career with a fumble recovery, giving the Maroons their only takeaway of the day.

While the Maroons lose a great senior class, a number of underclassmen stepped up on the day that will contribute again next year. First-year Dante Nepa had eight catches for 71 yards. Third-year running back Chandler Carroll had 36 carries for 176 yards and one touchdown, along with one receiving touchdown.

“It has been such a great experience playing for this football team this year. It’s a very special group of guys with amazing coaches. The seniors were so welcoming, and that really helped our team chemistry,” Nepa said. He finished his first year with 899 yards and 8 touchdowns. 

“It has been an honor to play by their side this year. We are excited to improve this offseason and build upon this past year in hopes of a successful first season in our new conference and a chance at a run in the playoffs.”