UAA Title on the Line for the Maroons

The Armory sets the stage for the men’s and women’s track and field UAA championship this weekend. After both sides won the Margaret Bradley meet last weekend, the squad is excited to make an impact in New York this year.

Both the men’s and women’s teams are coming off of victories at the Margaret Bradley Invitational last weekend and are now looking to finish the season strong by winning the UAA tournament this weekend. As the end of the indoor season approaches, the excitement penetrates the atmosphere as the Maroons prepare for the upcoming weekend in New York City.

“I think that next week the team is going to give it their all at the UAA championship. This is what we have been preparing for all season, and after this past meet I think that the team is ready for the championship meet,” said second-year Vivian Barclay.

The women boast many individual standouts including fourth-year Mikaela Hammel in the 200-meters, third-year Michelle Dobbs in the 400-meters, second-year Ade Ayoola in the high jump, and lastly the 4×400-meter relay, consisting of third-year Eleanor Kang, first-year Emma Keother, Dobbs, and Hammel. Together, the Maroons look to collect the team’s third UAA title in a row to close the regular season.

“We’ve seen improvement in everyone each meet, which is very exciting. I think that to finish this season strong, everyone needs to continue to focus during practice and have a positive attitude going into the championship meet,” said Barclay.

On the men’s side, following a second place finish in UAAs last year, the Maroons believe the script will be different this year and the title will be theirs.

“I’m very excited to go to New York for the first time. We have a very complete team again this year and are a big contender for the conference title,” said second-year Patrick LeFevre

The men also boast individual standouts such as the versatile second-year Nathan Downey in the 200-meters, third-year Temisan Osowa in the 60-meters, second-year Patrick LeFevre in the 60-meter hurdles, and third-year Gareth Jones in the one mile.

Everything seems to be clicking for the Maroons as they feel relatively healthy and ready for the oncoming competition. Fourth-year pole-vaulter, Michael Bennett, for example, made his return from injury last week. Bennett was the UAA champion and set the school record in the pole vault last season, after winning the national championship in the event in his sophomore campaign. His return is coming at a good time for the South Siders.

“Michael Bennett’s return last weekend is huge for us. We’ve had a lot of injuries this season, myself included, but people are getting healthy and performing well at the right time. If we run what we are capable of, there is no way we are leaving New York without that team title,” said LeFevre.

The Maroons will head to New York where they will compete in the University Athletic Association Indoor Track and Field Championships at New York University, starting Saturday at 5 p.m.