On and Around Campus April 15 – April 21

Friday, April 15

Screening of ‘MARIAM’ and Conversation with Director Faiza Ambah

5–6:15 p.m. Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue. RSVP online.

The IOP will host a conversation with Saudi filmmaker Faiza Ambah and a screening of her award-winning documentary, MARIAM. MARIAM is a coming of age story that reveals the complicated effects of bans on religious symbols across French public schools. After the screening, audience members will have a chance to discuss the film and its message with Ambah.

Sexual Violence in Greek Life Forum

4:30–6 p.m., Location To Be Announced

In the wake of incidents on campus and across the country, Resources for Sexual Violence Protection (RSVP) will host an open dialogue about the issue of sexual violence in UChicago’s Greek life community. RSVP is a division of UChicago’s Campus and Student Life office.

Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications & Speechwriting Ben Rhodes

12:30–1:45 p.m. Rockefeller Chapel. Register online.

Ben Rhodes, deputy national security advisor for strategic communications and speechwriting for President Obama, will be speaking about his time as assistant to the President and his experience with national security, speechwriting, and more. Prior to working for Obama’s administration and campaign, Rhodes helped draft the Iraq Study Group Report and the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission.

Found in Translation: Russia and the West in Dialogue

1:30 p.m. at the Franke Institute for Humanities Joseph Regenstein Library, Room S-102, 1100 East 57th Street

This conference brings together scholars from Russia, Europe, and the United States to discuss on the canons of Western and Russian scholarship. It will focus on the disconnect between the Western conceptions of Russia, rooted in narrow Cold War ideas, and the Russian interpretative framework, which often ignores Western writings on Russian-related matters. Panels and discussions continue until 5pm on Friday and from 10 a.m.– 5:45 p.m. on Saturday, with a keynote at 3:30 p.m. Friday.

The ACSA Network

7–10 p.m., I-House Assembly Hall, 1414 East 59th Street. $10 with UCID, $15 without. Purchase tickets online. Dinner will be provided prior to the show.

Inspired by the film “The Social Network,” this year’s African and Caribbean Students Association showcase seeks to explore how social media platforms have played a quintessential role in the diaspora of the African and Caribbean communities. Hosted by Nigerian comedian AphricanApe, the show will feature student performances and a fashion show with designs from Chicago’s African Fashion Week.

The Water Next Time: Changing Wavescapes in the Anthropocene, South and North

4:30–6 p.m. International House Coulter Lounge, 1414 East 59th Street.

Stefan Helmreich, an Associate Professor of Anthropology at MIT, will be speaking about climate change, ocean waves, and their ethnographic interaction. Helmreich asks how changes in ocean waves will mimic the other impacts of the Anthropocene.

Saturday, April 16

Screening + Panel Discussion: “Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution”

2 p.m. Logan Center, 915 East 60th Street.

Hosted by the Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture, this event features a documentary about the history of the Black Panthers as well as a panel discussion. The panel, which includes a member of anti-police brutality activist group BYP100, will allow connections between the Panthers and the contemporary moment of Black Lives Matter activism.

A.O. Scott – “Better Living Through Criticism” – Michael Phillips

2 p.m. Seminary Co-Op, 5751 S Woodlawn Avenue.

New York Times film critic Anthony Oliver Scott will discuss his book Better Living Through Criticism: How to Think About Art, Pleasure, Beauty, and Truth with Chicago Tribune film critic Michael Phillips. The book addresses the value that criticism and critics have in society.

Sunday, April 17

Murder at the Mic

1–3 p.m., 57th Street Books, 1301 East 57th Street. Register online.

Detective fiction author Sara Paretsky and the Midwest Chapter of the Mystery Writers of America (MWA-MW) will be hosting a series of five-minute stories regarding “murder, mystery and mayhem!” Fifteen authors, including Paretsky, will take the stage and read their tales. This event is open to the public.

The History of Rock and Soul

4 p.m., Logan Center. $30 for general seating, $12 for students (23 and under). Buy tickets at chicagoacappella.org.

Radio personality Terri Hemmert, a pioneering female DJ and Beatles expert, has taught a course called “the History of Rock and Soul” at Columbia College for decades. In this event, Chicago a cappella puts that course to music.

Monday, April 18

CROSSING THE VERTICAL BORDER: ON THE CENTRAL AMERICAN MIGRANT TRAIL Exhibit- Opening reception

4:30–6 p.m. Center for Study of Politics Race and Culture, 5733 South University Avenue

The work of Salvadoran journalist Oscar Martinez and Catalan photojournalist Edu Ponces focusing on the systemic causes of violence in Central America and the intimate struggles of migration will be on display until June 1 following this opening reception. Next month, Martinez and Ponces will visit the CSPRC to share their work in person.

The Conservative Heart with AEI President Arthur Brooks

6–7:15 p.m., Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue. Register online.

As the head of the American Enterprise Institute, Arthur Brooks is an influential conservative voice. At this event, he will explore how Republicans can craft a pitch that sells free enterprise to poor Americans, and whether that message would ever be successful in internal Republican politics.

Tuesday, April 19

Wendy Doniger – “Redeeming the Kamasutra”

6 p.m. Seminary Co-op Bookstore, 5751 South Woodlawn Avenue. RSVP online.

Passage between cultures and across language barriers has tended to reduce the Kamasutra to an oversexed pastiche. In a new book Wendy Doniger, a professor of the History of Religion at the University of Chicago, argues that the book should be seen as a masterpiece of secular Sanskrit literature.

“Work on Demand – Serving Chicago’s Underserved” with David Plouffe of Uber

4:30 p.m. Harper Center Room 104, 5807 South Woodlawn Avenue. Register online.

The rise of “on demand” labor in the form of Uber and other ride-sharing services has prompted debate about whether such systems of casual labor help or hurt workers. At the event, former Senior Advisor to President Obama and current Uber board member David Plouffe presents Uber’s side of the case.

Wednesday, April 20

Reading by Poet Bernadette Mayer at The Joseph Regenstein Library

6-7:30 p.m. Regenstein Library Room 122 A-B, 1100 East 57th Street.

Bernadette Mayer’s provocatively sexual poem First Turn to Me… reads in part “watching t.v. we wonder if each other wants to / interrupt the plot; later I beg you to read to me.” Mayer will read to you from her influential body of avant-garde poetry at this event.

Thursday, April 21

Keeping America Great in the Global Economy: A Discussion with the Chairman of the EXIM Bank

12:15–1:15 p.m. Institute of Politics, 5707 South Woodlawn Avenue. Register online.

Fred Hochberg, chairman of the Export Import Bank, will discuss America’s future in the increasingly more uncertain global economy. Chairman Hochberg was appointed by President Obama in 2009, and since then, he has managed over $200 billion worth of exports. He will discuss the political and economic implications of the Export Import bank as well as a general overview of the American economy.

Reading by Fiction Writer Mary Gordon

6 p.m. Logan Center room 801, 915 East 60th Street.

In her well-received new collection of novellas The Liar’s Wife, Mary Gordon explores the impact of the past on a series of “Americans living in Europe and Europeans living in America.” At this event, the former official author for New York state and Barnard College English professor will read from that collection.

Helmets and Masks: Scenographies of War Traumas in Documentary Cinema

7–9 p.m. Logan Center, Screening Room 201, 915 East 60th Street.

Christa Blümlinger, a professor of film studies at the University Vincennes-Saint-Denis in Paris, will analyze different filmmakers’ approaches to portraying war and the stress symptoms suffered by soldiers. Specifically, she will be discussing the work of John Huston (WWII), Harun Farocki (US invasion of Iraq), Winterfilm (the Vietnam War), and Avi Mograbi (the Israeli army), and the role that these film play in shifting trauma from the personal to the political sphere.

Party at the Smart: Garden Soirée

8–10 p.m. Smart Museum, 5550 South Greenwood Avenue

UChicago students are invited to get classy after class in this event featuring a dance party in the sculpture garden, music by Dirt Red Brass Band, and private access to the Smart Museum’s galleries. You can also check out the Monster Roster special exhibit about existentialist art in postwar Chicago, at the Smart until June 12.

UChicago Green Careers Panel

7–9 p.m. International House Coulter Lounge, 1414 East 59th Street

The Green Careers Panel will discuss how the growing field of sustainability and environmentalism provides a broad range of career opportunities, ranging from environmental law to urban planning to government organizations.

Christine Schmidt, Rena Slavin, Eileen Li, Gabe Bennett-Brandt, Emily Feigenbaum, Adam Thorp, and Sonia Schlesinger contributed to this calendar.