Department of Music Lightens Requirements for Major, Minor

The University’s music department announced changes to its undergraduate major and minor earlier this week.

The Department of Music has revamped its undergraduate major and minor in order to make the programs more flexible.  

Notably, music majors and minors will no longer be required to take any three-class sequences or to participate in department ensembles.  

Beginning this year, students majoring in music must complete 11 courses in the department. Six must be “foundation” courses chosen from three subject areas, and the other five must be electives. The choices of “foundation” courses include many courses which were previously required for the major, as well as some new course options. 

Students minoring in music must complete seven courses: two analysis courses, one historical or cultural course, one creative practice course, and three electives. 

The music major previously required that students complete at least 12 credits of classes in music, including two mandatory three-class sequences and one yearlong one-credit class. The minor program required seven credits, including a mandatory three-class sequence. Both majors and minors were also required to participate in a department ensemble for at least three quarters in addition to completing the course requirements. 

In a press release, the Department of Music said the changes were intended to allow students to “incorporate more of their performance interest into the program and design a major that aligns with their individual interests and aspirations.” 

An information session on the revised major and minor will be held Friday, October 11 from 3 to 5 p.m. in Fulton Recital Hall.