58 New COVID-19 Cases Reported as Students Return to Campus for Winter Quarter

The University reported 58 new cases and 10 close contacts between January 6 and 13 as students returned to Hyde Park and began classes.
-

There were 58 new cases of COVID-19 and 10 close contacts in the University community between January 6 and 13, according to a UChicago Forward email sent out Friday afternoon. These cases include students and faculty working remotely as well as those on campus. Surveillance testing yielded 15 positive cases during the week, bringing the positivity rate to 0.4 percent.

Students were instructed to observe stay-at-home protocol for seven days as they moved back into dorms this week. After move-in last quarter, the University reported 14 new cases and nine positive tests the following week.

The City of Chicago updated its Emergency Travel Order, effective January 15, to allow for what city officials have deemed improved testing capabilities. The city has eliminated the red classification level, which required travelers to self-isolate for 10 days, regardless of a negative COVID-19 test. The two remaining classifications, orange and yellow, are less stringent. For the 48 states and two territories under the orange classification, travelers need a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 72 hours before arriving in Chicago, or they must quarantine for 10 days. Travelers from yellow states do not need to test or quarantine before arrival.

International air travel requirements have also been updated by the Center for Disease Control. Effective January 26, all international travelers must provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result within three days before their flights depart for the U.S.